Jim's Apartment Get's New Konecto Prestige

Discussion in 'Vinyl Flooring Q&A' started by Jim McClain, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

Time to do my floor. It's been just over 7 months since I started my apartment remodel. This is a converted garage, so I had to do some serious leveling to get rid of that inch and a half slope toward the front of the building. That was done months ago and I did a final coat of Feather Finish yesterday to prepare for the Konecto Prestige I got from FlooringMarket.com.

Today I thought I would just get a little head start on an expected visit by SteveO (skhardwoods), who generously volunteered to come help me install the floor. I was worried because this is the kind of floor that needs to get done without too much delay because of the exposed glue strips that are attached to the material. With the positioning and all the rolling and such, I figured I wouldn't be able to put more than a couple pieces together at a time.

At 2PM a former competitor came by to lend me his 100# roller. I then went out and bought a roll of 30# felt for the insulation properties, since this is going on a slab floor and Winter has arrived full-force. But my room is warm and the floor is comfortable in bare feet, so I am not overly concerned.

The material is surprisingly easy to install. With all the complaints we have here in other topics, I expected the worst. And I expected it to be an energy sapper for me because my lungs don't work so pretty good. But I was able to get 6 rows done by about 6PM - that just a little over 3 hours of actual working time for me.

I'm sorry I didn't get in-progress pictures. That woulda been difficult for me. I started by scraping, sweeping and vacuuming the area I was going to lay the first sheet of felt down in. I racked enough planks to do a couple rows and used my 6' straight edge for a guide to butt the first row to. I continued to use it to back up that first row when I did the second row.

Once the 2 rows were done, I slid the material to butt the long wall in my living area. The wall wasn't straight and I needed to take about 2" off the side to make it balanced across the room, so my framers square worked perfectly as the scribe tool to cut the 2" off. Breaking off the 2" of waste was a little hard, but it broke off evenly. Then I slid the material to the wall, leaving the requisite quarter inch gap along the long wall and the two ends.

Since there's no tapping and smacking the planks to position them, I didn't need any blocks to maintain the expansion gap. But I did keep my eye on it to make sure my movements and work didn't cause the material to move. I think the felt paper and it's natural kinda sticky quality helped.

I bent each new piece's leading end as prescribed to reduce the chance of a dip where it attaches to the previous plank. It's easy to do and it became a habit. It also helped with the alignment. I butted the end, beginning in the very corner of the adjoining row and end pieces - very much like how you lay in vinyl tile. The long side was a tight fit purposely. I wanted to sort of snap the side in as I slid my hand long the plank to press it into the glue with my thumb. It got faster the more planks I installed. It seemed pretty much effortless and I found I did not have to twist or bend the material to get it to close a gap. I think starting the piece right makes it lay into position perfectly and without trouble. I did notice one very slight gap in an end, maybe as wide as the thickness of a piece or 2 of paper. No, I didn't take it up to fix it - it would have meant taking up 4 planks. I'll live with it. :shifty:

Konecto snaps across a score pretty easily. Much easier to snap off a cross cut than a rip. The broken edge is a little ragged, but if you are concerned about the gap or fit, it's easy enough to trim smooth with a sharp utility knife - that's the knife I'm using to cut this stuff.

Here are some pictures of the first phase of the installation. I think I will eat something now and maybe I will be able to get some more down later tonight. I usually stay up 'til 2 or 3, sometimes later, so I might get another 3' done before bedtime. I am really enjoying doing this and it reminds me a lot of how much I miss installing floors every day.

Jim

Attached Files:

2. rusty baker

rusty baker Well-Known Member

Looks good, Jim.

3. Barry Carlton

Barry Carlton I Support TFP Senior Member Published

So.....Steve is only coming for dinner???

b

4. Steve Olson

Steve Olson Hardwood/Laminate Guru Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Heck, he's going to be done before I can get down there. That really looks nice!

I'll just mail him the pulled pork....:yesss:

5. Barry Carlton

Mail all of us some too!!!!!!!

b

6. Jim McClain

Yeah, it looks like I will be able to handle this myself. I'll certainly miss meeting SteveO, but now he can make money instead of spending money. :)

A little while ago I finished another 6 rows. That takes me about half way across the room (not counting the entryway). I'm beat and my back is sore, but I am proud of what I've been able to do. Well, I knew I could do it, but I didn't realize it would go so fast. I really figured this could take me a week or so to do on my own. I might just finish the floor part tomorrow. Then I can do all the base shoe.

Here's what's done and what's left. I'll cover the glue strips with the slick paper to keep the dust and dirt off it 'til tomorrow.

Jim

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  7. Jon Scanlan

Jon Scanlan That Kiwi Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

You are doing well Jim. Its looking good

8. Kman

Kman Tile Expert I Support TFP Senior Member Published

By tomorrow you'll be good enough to lay flooring with that 100lb. roller hanging off your tool belt. ;)

9. Steve Olson

Steve Olson Hardwood/Laminate Guru Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

2am, and you just finished another 6 rows??? Man, you work some late hours, I may have lucked out, I doubt I could keep up with you. I was looking forward my apprenticeship. It may have been my only chance to work with Konecto.:D

10. DJ

DJ Charter Member

don't know how you been "retired " looks like you still "got it" though:yesss: :good: :bow:

11. Darol Wester

Darol Wester Charter Member Senior Member

It looks great Jim. Your place is coming together really nice.

12. mcbrides

mcbrides Canadian Installers Senior Member

Way to go, Jim, looks great. When's the housewarming party?
    D&D

13. Jim McClain

Thanks, you guys. The house warming party will be whenever you show up. ;)

I finished the flooring about 1:30 tonight. I really should have stopped when I finished getting the appliances put back. I had to do the base shoe and other trim in those alcoves, touch up the paint, caulk and do some TV cable connectors so I could hide the cable behind the baseboard where the refer is.

Those little areas always seem to be the most time consuming and frustrating. I took a break to eat and watch some TV, but I just couldn't leave it alone. I had to finish. Well, now I can concentrate on the base shoe and trim tomorrow, touch up the paint and then maybe I can get my furniture out of storage.

I sure hope I don't find too many mistakes tomorrow. I was too tired to be doing this. I won't be able to say, "ya cain't see it from my house" - it IS my house. So, whata ya gonna do, fire me? Send me ta 'Nam? Been there, done that. :blink:

Jeez, I'm talkin' stupid now. I'll shut up. :(

Attached Files:

14. Al Gladden

Al Gladden stretcherman Charter Member

grump, looks good... you put it in the bathroom to?

15. DJ

DJ Charter Member

reminds of workin in the motels 27 hours a night:yesss: ah the good ol days.

16. Nick Arrera

Nick Arrera Resting In Peace

Looks good T . Enjoy .

17. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Jim It looks really great! The best part of it is you can say " I did it all myself!" and proudly show off your handy work. What a sense of accomplishment.

Daris

18. Jim McClain

No, the bathroom has some slate looking vinyl (Mannington Ultra, I think) that looks pretty good. The next room I do will be the bedroom, but this room isn't done yet. The floor is finished though. :)

I went to bed last night thinking about that sense of accomplishment. This morning I got up and proceeded to pick it apart like I was my worst customer. I found a mark on the floor from the refrigerator (prob'ly comes off with some vigorous rubbing) and several boards that should not have been placed where they were.

Konecto Prestige has 7 or so different patterns in the color line. But I see that some of that is just the pattern being reversed or shifted. Most of the boards I should have used elsewhere are like that, but once the furniture is in, it may not be noticeable at all. But there are 5 boards up near the kitchen counters, 2 of one pattern and 3 of another, that won't be covered and I really wish I had paid closer attention to that.

I removed a board over by the entry last night right after I laid it in. It was very difficult to remove and it took some of the glue from the adjacent board with it. I'd hate to think how difficult it would be to replace a board in the middle of a room. I doubt I would be trying that any time soon. I think I will just have to leave the boards as-is up near the cabinets as a reminder that you may not forget the technical part of installing after 4 years, but the quality sure suffers.

Maybe most people wouldn't notice what I do. I am very critical, especially of my own work. It prob'ly wouldn't be a good idea to let it stress me out though. Maybe I'll pout for another hour or so and then start installing the trim. ;)

Jim

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  19. mcbrides

mcbrides Canadian Installers Senior Member

We were certified to do laminates years ago. Our first project was our own house. The product we picked had a very rustic pattern to it, with 8 board pattern repeats per box. We ran the whole main floor on a diagonal, no transitions. It was a click product, but we glued the sucker anyway. We continually argued over board pattern placement, so we would get a few rows in and then walk away rather than killing each other. By the time that we had proceeded into the dining room at the back of the house, I no longer gave a crap about patten placement, we had been at it for almost 3 months and I wanted my house back. I managed to get about 4 boards together in the middle of the room that were identical. We were the only ones that noticed it. House has been long since sold. We successfully avoided doing laminate after that.

Our Duraceramic customer this week is renovating a newly purchased home prior to moving in. Her father was planning to do laminate in the living/dining rooms, but has asked us if we would do it for him the week after Christmas. We looked at each other, both knowing the potential for an onsite bruhaha between us, but not having much work booked for that week, we may be inclined to do it. It will only work if Dave racks the panels, and I mark the cuts for him, that way we don't fight about what goes where. Will let ya know.

Jim, stop stewing. Your floor looks great. Only a flooring guy may notice the repeats in front of your kitchen counter. If it really bugs you that much, buy yourself a little runner. ;)

Deb

20. Barry Carlton

Better yet, have Lo make you a runner from some of the scrap he's always playaround with. ;)

b