J.Jeff visits a not so Grumpy Jim

Discussion in 'Taking a Break From Flooring' started by Jim McClain, May 23, 2006.

1. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

I got a call last night from J. Jeff Johnson. He was in town (my home town) and wanted to say hello and maybe meet up. I know he said he would, but I really didn't think he would, or at least not this soon. Apparently, he does what he says he's gonna do.

J.Jeff, for those unfamiliar with the colorful and sometimes quirky master of the snappy retort (NOT!) fellow forumite, is a long-time member of these boards. Hell, I remember him from as far back as Feb 12, 2001 when he made his first post on the FCI site. It must have been a traumatic experience because it was another 10 days until his next post -- and a look into the future at that:
    As time went on, J.Jeff would prove to be a proponent of CFI and gave as much as he got when trading experience and techniques were the norm on forums. That was a long time ago.

J.Jeff and I tangled on more than a few occasions, but ya know, I can't remember much about any of them and I don't want to rehash old news. But it was with a little trepidation that I even gave my phone number to J.Jeff. Ya never can tell what them crazy Internet wackos are gonna do. :D

J.Jeff called last night. It was a late, but I hadn't had dinner. So he suggested going for some refreshing beverages and I agreed. But I called a restaurant instead and made a last minute reservation (we only have 1 or 2 restaurants like that around here). He was on his motorcycle, so I picked him up at the motel and we talked and laughed for a good hour or so. I told him if he ever wanted to hang out with me again, he'd have to buy me breakfast. ;)

More chatting, gossip and laughter (was anyone's ears ringin'?). I enjoyed the visit a lot. I took a few pictures too.

We had breakfast at the Courthouse Café -- right across from the County Courthouse. Look up at the top row of windows -- way up along the roofline. That all used to be the county jail. I got busted for dope a few times back in the early 70s and spent some days on the other side of those windows. Quite a view. :eek:

jjj_visit03_l.jpg jjj_visit04_l.jpg

Isn't that revealing? And I always thought of J.Jeff as a hard-ass. Lookit that: Green Tea in a dainty tea pot. hahahaha

Well, all good things must come to an end. It was raining a little off an' on, so J.Jeff and Chris, his riding partner (from another forum for bikers), suited up in their rain gear. I took a last shot with J.Jeff in his gear and helmet and the courthouse, Chris and me are reflected in the face shield (click the pic to see a larger view). I thought it looked cool. Chris took the last picture on my roll of digital film. Yeah, I'm not grumpy. Get over it.

jjj_visit19_l.jpg jjj_visit22_l.jpg

Thanks a lot, J.Jeff. That was a great visit. Wish it coulda been a little longer, but maybe next time. I sure hope I get to meet up with a few more of the people I have been privileged to know on the Net.

Best R'gards,

Jim

2. tony lamar

tony lamar Charter Member

That's cool. I'd like to meet all you guys. Well, most of you anyway.:)

3. Steve Olson

Steve Olson Hardwood/Laminate Guru Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I always visualized Jay Jeff having a mullet....Nice pic's!

4. hookknife

hookknife Hard Surface Installer Charter Member Senior Member

very cool Jim, im surprised youre not standing in 3ft of snow bieng where you are,lol
    my friend told there is still snow in susanville hehehhee:)

5. Al Gladden

Al Gladden stretcherman Charter Member

i have meet a few guys on the board, but i would like to meet some more..just wondering who paid for the food? grump or j.jeff?

6. Jim McClain

Like I said, I told him if he wanted to hang with a cool guy like me, he'd have to buy me breakfast. We had breakfast and it didn't cost me a dime. ;)

Jim

7. Al Gladden

Al Gladden stretcherman Charter Member

grump, you ever come to georgia.. i guarantee you a free steak...

8. Jim McClain

Thanks Al. That's almost worth the 3000 mile drive right there. :D Seriously, it would be good to meet you.

Jim

9. Danny Ferguson

Danny Ferguson Abbey Carpet & Floor Charter Member

Hey Jim, did Jeff let you take his motorcycle for a spin?;)

10. J Jeff Johnson

J Jeff Johnson Resting In Peace Charter Member

Thanks for the superb write up Jim, you've always had great writing skills. As I get out and about, I enjoy looking up people on the net. It happens quite often on my sport-touring.net forum that we meet up..... either a national or regional group ride to meet the people we chat with on the net. :coffee: This trip took me to Fortuna, Calif. We had about 60 guys and gals riding sport touring machines. We rode local NorCal roads (Cape Mendocino on the coast was great!), partied hardy, BS'd, ate good, said our good byes, and headed back to our respective states after an exhausting weekend that tortured us with hit and miss rain.

I headed out Sunday on Cal State Hwy 36 east to Red Bluff.......one of the greatest motorcycle road ever:dance: , I doubt there was ever a 300yd straight stretch of road in a 136 miles. Continuing east on 36 brought me close enough to Quincy, Ca to give Grump a visit. I'm glad I did.

I attended SURFACES in Vegas a couple of times to meet flooring people I've encountered on forums along with 2 CFI conventions.....a great wealth of flooring info at both functions.

"Hey Jim, did Jeff let you take his motorcycle for a spin?" asks Danny.

No, but reiterated this story.

Jim told me about the time he scared his self shittless on a Honda 750 (I think) at 100 mph :eek: after hitting some sand in a slow sweeper. Since he lived to tell about it, he sold the bike the next day and bought old Cadillac Eldorado so as to "wrap himself in steel " I guess that's why bikers refer to cars as "Cages". :)

All in all it's not a bad ride back from Jim's.......556 mi. from my house, a 10 hrs jaunt. It took me 12 hrs with all the rain though.

I'm sure Jim could point me to some great fly fishing streams on my nest visit.....sounds good to me......!

11. Darol Wester

Darol Wester Charter Member Senior Member

Hey Jeff. What happen to your run up Hwy 3 through Etna? Did the weather send you home quicker?

12. J Jeff Johnson

Darol,

I'm real bad about email replies......procrastination is my middle name. I heard so much about hwy 36 being the epitome of motorcycle roads I just had to do it.

Hwy 3 was on my short list..........too many roads not enough time last weekend.

Last years meet I returned home via the Salmon River, awesome river (I took the turn off, cause we have the famous " River of No Return in Idaho aka Idaho's Salmon River)..... hwy 98 to Somes Bar to Sawyer Bar to Etna, thru your home town Fort Tejon, Weed, Tule Lake, north to 140 to 395 Lakeview, Burns, and ending in Boise.

I didn't realize until returning home I had rode by without looking you up.:(

That Sawyer Bar Rd. is quite unusual. it's like no wider than a large bike path but paved. I rounded a blind turn, hugging my side only to meet a Toyota pickup swerving to miss me just in time! :eek:

I love the roads in your area, great country. I could of kick my self for missing you last year..............I seem to have the same affinity to beer as you do. :D

Next time for sure.

13. Jerry Thomas

Jerry Thomas Charter Member Senior Member

J.Jeff, you or any of your group on the sport-touring.net forum been out east and rode the Blue Ridge Parkway? My house is right next to it. Years ago I used to ride the Parkway all the time. Since I'm married with children I am not allowed to have bikes anymore :(

14. Darol Wester

Darol Wester Charter Member Senior Member

Jeff

There are some curly roads around here. The road you took was the north fork of the Salmon and it's about as narrow of a road a person would want to travel on. I can get down right spooky at times. Meeting a log truck on one of those turns will eliminate the need for coffee. :eek: If you was to take some of the side roads in that country you will come across folks that make you think you're in the filming of Deliverance.

I worked out there in the early 70's. There was no power and old crank phones only. Now there's still some crank phones and still no power. Only generators or photo voltaic.

Sounds like you had a great ride. Maybe we'll see you another time.

PS. Friends of mine have a GREAT little micro brewery in Etna. The Etna Brewery. What else.:D Did you try it when you went through?

15. J Jeff Johnson

The Etna Brewry?....nope missed it, but I missed the whole town. Hit the first sop sign made a left and was gone. Fort Jones is what a meant to say in the earlier post, not Fort Tejon....where'd I get that?
    I barley remember slowing down for Fort Jones.... will next time though!