It's a NASTY F'n Business, this is

Discussion in 'Commercial Flooring Sales & Installation' started by Incognito, May 10, 2017.

1. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

So this is pretty much EVERY little demo/prep/install commercial resilient that I see on the smaller scale. The REASON for replacement/FAILURE is in almost every instance related to the moisture and alkalinity. Who really knows the DEGREE of nastiness and funk until the multiple layers of flooring are removed?????

I do. I've seen in ten hundred zillion times. I see it in my sleep.

VCT----------JUST LAY IT!!!!!

I don't even ask any more.

What do you do?

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I don't know why there isn't more resinous flooring for such spaces because it would perform and be less maintenance to clean it. Do it once and forget it for 20 or 30 years.

3. Incognito

The existing VCT under the carpet tile was installed 20 years ago as the original floor when the building was built in 1997. The corridors outside the room have serious and visible alkalinity damage and need to be replaced. I don't understand why my shop didn't note the moisture and..............well, the room functions 24/7 so shot blasting and epoxy is out.

The carpet tile was a really poor choice considering the lack of a routine maintenance schedule and alkalinity conditions. I wonder if all this chemical horror under our plastic floors isn't making people sick by the millions nationwide.

Even sealed concrete would be better than the plastic (vinyl) if you're not going to effectively protect the slab underneath from the earth or seal the surface with epoxy treatments.

4. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I agree, flood a room out and think a floating floor is waterproof, don't dry it out properly and boom, mold and mildew growth.

5. Majwoody

Majwoody Pro Member

Working on one right now. Probes say 98%. GC/Owner says rather gamble than mitigate. It does what it's told, free of liability of course.

6. Mike Antonetti

This is an example of where if it were inspected for failure, one would blame the installer, not knowing the decisions taken upon the one in charge of the work being performed.

7. Majwoody

Majwoody Pro Member

Blame all they want. My boss and the owner were on site when I set the probes and took readings. I'm just the hourly guy following orders. Everyone is informed and knows the risk. We have a good relationship with the GC. If not for that, I believe we would walk.

8. Mike Antonetti

I assume that's the conclusion, everyone should be informed, the owners as well, all parties involved, but then I hear"you're the professional, you shouldn't have done that" which is a big BS. So I think it's a crapshoot in a courtroom, which I also hear, they hardly ever go to this level.

9. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

Some states say it's the GC's responsibility for testing a slab. Other situations may be governed by what is in the contract for a given job. Unfortunately, in residential situations it's almost always going to fall back on the installer. It is a nasty F'n business for sure.

10. Incognito

That's how the shop I work for operates. Many of the smaller jobs that are...........low risk on our part------carpet tile, VCT, less expensive sheet vinyl you EDUCATE AND INFORM the customer and let the make the risk/reward/cost benefit analysis.

With unknown customers or big money installations there would be a lot of documentation and legal mumbo jumbo to be negotiated. In the end we do walk now and again when the risk isn't worth the potential pay day. Its the same for moisture issues as when they want less than minimum acceptable floor prep.

11. Majwoody

Majwoody Pro Member

We test to inform ourselves and the customer. GCs don't do their own testing here. I have yet to see them bring in an independent party either.

12. Nate Hall

Nate Hall Types With Elbows Senior Member Published

The notice of protest and assumption of risk forms can help.