Issue with peel & stick vinyl flooring - HELP!

Discussion in 'Vinyl Flooring Q&A' started by Blazin, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Blazin

Blazin New Member

I'm trying to get my house ready to put up for sale and everything is going well, except for the peel & stick vinyl flooring in the basement. Previously the floor had peel & stick tiles, which I ripped up with a torch. The subflooring was cleaned of any loose debris, and it is level. I installed Style Selections peel & stick strips from Lowe's, per the included instructions, and they looked great, at first. After a day or two they started lifting. I put many heavy objects on the floor, for days, it didn't phase them. I rented a 100 lb floor roller, fired up the kerosene heater because the floor is cold, and rolled it repeatedly, for days. It's still lifting and my time to fix it is quickly evaporating. Can someone please recommend a fix for the places that aren't sticking? I do not want (nor have time) to rip up and install something else.

Whole floor, rolled 40 minutes ago:
    IMG_2283_zpsnmsapxnp.jpg

Lifting:
    IMG_2281_zpsgjoc7uuu.jpg IMG_2282_zpsrzkvafmd.jpg

2. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

Let me see if the chronological order is correct. You said after a day or two, you saw lifting and THEN you used some heavy objects to see if that would help. When it apparently didn't, THEN you rented a 100# roller and THEN you turned on a kerosene heater of some sort.

Was the room between 65-85° F. for the 2 days prior and during installation AND the flooring acclimating in the room that whole time?

Was the substrate actually flat - within 1/4" in a 10' radius, or did you have to fill low spots and grind/sand/scrape high spots? What filler did you use?

Was the floor completely clean and dust free when you laid each plank in place?

Did you use the 100# roller immediately after installation (or even during if it took more than 8 hours to complete the job)? Or did you wait a day or two or even longer before you rolled?

The way you initially explained it, you DIDN'T follow the instructions. It sounds like the room was too cold and you waited too long after the installation to roll it. And unfortunately, you used your first post here on TFP to link your photos to an external site, which caused the automated system to flag you as a potential spammer and sent your post into the moderation queue. It's a weekend and I sleep in late (actually, I sleep in late EVERY day because I stay up until the wee hours every night), so your post wasn't approved until nearly 2 hours later. But fixing this job is going to take a while anyway. :(

3. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

You cannot burn a kerosene heater in basement, severe Danger of Carbon Monoxide death/sickness.

Can you peel one piece up and determine why it won't stick?

I would say, peel the piece up, if it requires distortion to remove, discard it. Use pressure sensitive adhesive to apply to floor with roller, allow to dry, then install new piece and roll, step on, putting pressure to entire surface.

4. Steve Forbo

Steve Forbo Pro Member

Also, you almost always need to flat trowel pressure sensitive adhesive prior to installing self stick tile.
    After ripping up the flooring, did you properly skim coat the floor with patch? or did you just assume the floor was flat and smooth?
    Prep is ALWAYS needed.
    Did you do a moisture test? Alk test?
    I have yet to see a successful peel and stick installation unless the above steps were taken
    Steve

5. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I like that idea Steve of flat troweling psa to fill any little voids and actually "connect" to the slab or better yet a skimcoat which you said. Those tips should be on installation instructions stating for the " best bond" methods.

6. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

It sounds like there is a reaction to the other glue from the first tiles.

7. j248

j248 I Support TFP

I would agree, along with possible temp issues, and as mike stated, the use of kerosene in a basement is 100% not a safe thing to ever do. Get a carbon monoxide detector as some side advice.

Keep in mind that usually the use of an adhesive on a peel and stick tile or plank will void the warranty completely. check the install instructions for this

8. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I would probably take it up and put another product there. As you say you are putting it up for sale and you want it to look good.

9. casemill

casemill Pro Member

What substrate is it on?

Maybe I missed it, but what is the lvp installed over? Is it directly on the concrete or on another old flooring product?

Sorry, when I first posted a question to this thread, I didn't realize that it was 9 years old. But if the homeowner installed the vinyl plank over some old vat or vct, it wouldn't have the ability for the plank's adhesive to grab well, plus it sounds like the environment was too cold and they didn't roll the floor as it was installed.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  10. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

You're mistaken. This topic was started less than 2 weeks ago. You're good.