Island electric after the slab

Discussion in 'Health & Safety Forum' started by Mike Antonetti, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I should just expect the electrical wire to be stashed under flooring. I damaged it but don’t think any compensation to owner should be considered. I was at rock bottom on my bid. This was a new owner of a foreclosure.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Jonathan Garcia

Jonathan Garcia Pro Member

yeah, they should have told you their was a wire under the flooring, especially since its exposed on top of the slab, and under flooring, with no protection.

3. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

Not really the smartest place to burry a cable. Glad you made it out brother ;)

4. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

Makes me angry thinking about the SOBs who thought that was cool-----running a power line like that.

Reminds me of the most violent and destructive ancient conquering armies who are said to have "salted the earth" behind them in the lands they invaded so no future civilizations could be raised up there to threaten their rule or EVER sneak up on them from behind.

Sorry if this word offends anyone but this kind of work is the epitome of SCAB construction.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

I ran across the same thing in my kitchen reno in my last house. Peel and stuck tile with 220v channeled into the plywood and laid over. Thanks for trying to kill me lads!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I cut the wire where damaged, after tripping the gfi and testing power to line, then pulled it up easily as the weakened patch gave way, capped the end, pushed the reset button to dishwasher.

There was a Lowes guy there that had a cabinet shop, doing estimate, someone said she needed new roof which looked a few years old, I know him somewhat. He was telling homeowner how messed up that was and how an electrician won’t touch that unless he trenches it out, even gets the termite guy out, reseal barrier and pour cement, not sure if they will decide to abandon the power to island.

7. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

That island probably has a code that it has to have power, I know they have that here.

8. Hanover Fist

Hanover Fist Pro Member

I agree with you Mike - there is no way you should be held accountable for a clear code violation that no one in their right mind should have expected to run into. I’d phrase it like that to the HO, as well. He’s gonna need to pull a permit just to fix it, and the municipal code assessor should be able to set him straight.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  9. epoxyman

epoxyman Pro Member

Yea here in Florida you do to and it has to be GFI to.
    When we built I ran pipe just for the power to the center island before we poured the slab.