Is this Kentile flooring with asbestos (as best you can tell?)

Discussion in 'Health & Safety Forum' started by M grex, Sep 8, 2019.

1. M grex

M grex New Member

Thank you in advance for helping me determine if the tiles in the picture are possibly Kentiles with asbestos

mgrex1.jpg

2. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

The photo is too small a resolution and too far away to tell anything beyond that it could be a wood parquet. You provided too little information. If it is a Kentile product, then it's probably a material with vinyl in it because I don't think they made wood parquet flooring. If it's old enough, it could contain asbestos. If it's a vinyl tile that is only 9x9", then the chances of asbestos are high, but if it's 12x12" or sheet vinyl, then your guess would be as good as mine. If it isn't a Kentile product (why did you mention that brand?)... well then :hu: Likely not even a better photo will help.

The only way to know for sure is to have a small piece of it tested. If there is black or brown glue under it, have that tested too. Testing is very inexpensive in relation to the cost you could pay if it does contain asbestos. This lab might be near you: Asbestos Testing & Asbestos Abatement in Manhattan, Brooklyn, the Bronx, White Plains & Westchester County, NY

3. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti Senior Member

You’re calling upon the ol timers to shake off the dust and wake up from a nap and do some focusing, recollecting and then it’s a 50/50?

@ 35$ to test tile and adhesive.

My only knowledge of asbestos is in the composition tile, not the more vinyl solids though I’m up for learning.

4. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

My use of the term "vinyl" was in reference to Vinyl Asbestos Tile (VAT), which has also been called Vinyl Composition Tile (VCT) by those who don't know the distinction, although VAT is also a composition of several ingredients that include the mineral asbestos. I also mentioned sheet vinyl, which at one time had asbestos fibers in the paper backing. Then there's the asbestos that was used in tile emulsion adhesives back in the day - it was black or brown in color. I don't know the science, but asbestos might have been present in other ways in manufactured flooring products, but those I mentioned are pretty common in the time prior to the mid-70s and phased out by the mid-80s.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

Kentile made "solid" vinyl as well as vinyl-asbestos and asphalt-asbestos tile. That's what I know for sure. They fairly rapidly declared bancruptcy when it became obvious their liabilities for asbestosis and lung disease far surpassed any possible future profits and the industry was no longer allowed to manufacture asbestos laden flooring. I don't recall how long they lasted after VAT morphed into VCT. I know they were around a few years beyond that era-----not much more.

So your pattern looks like IF it's a vinyl product it would be a SOLID vinyl. They generally wouldn't have used asbestos in that sort of high end, designer flooring. It didn't serve the purposes for which asbestos was rquired------CHEAP, fire resistent and dimensionally stable. The solid vinyl product would be installed WET into a premium, solvent based multi-purpose or better yet an epoxy based glue as they were not remotely as stable----dimensionally as the asbestos products. By that I mean they would certainly SHRINK/EXPAND/CURL if not installed into a top of the line adhesive by skilled professionals.

Get it tested.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti Senior Member

Depending on method and person if it were going to be removed, it is not very friable. Though the adhesive will be a bond inhibitor for new adhesive/thinset,etc.

7. M grex

M grex New Member

Thank you!

Thank you.

Will do, thank you!

8. UncleCliffie

UncleCliffie Charter Member

How old is the building the tile is installed. That should give a good indication of the presence of asbestos.

9. M grex

M grex New Member

Hi, thanks for responding. The house was constructed in 1960.