Is this Karastan

Discussion in 'Carpet Q&A' started by Karalover, Dec 10, 2017.

1. Karalover

Karalover Member

I was looking for prices on a Karastan rug and found the exact same pattern described as "Devonshire Chalet" rather than "Karastan English Manor" on the PaylessRugs website. The rug in the picture looks ok, the link says karastan, but the price is hundreds less than I've seen it elsewhere. So is this a copy or some "own brand" labeling thing?

Devonshire Chalet William Morris Red Rug

2. Fuzzy Sideup

Fuzzy Sideup Pro Member

You will find "private labeling" throughout the carpet industry. It is very common making it more difficult to shop price. And it is done exactly for that reason.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Who knows. The website says one thing and when they ship it could be something different. Most rug makers require a minimum price when selling online so I wouldn't trust it or want the worry.

4. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I bought an area rug from an exclusive area rug store(250$) then found it on Amazon I think for 140$. I thought it was unique, but printed a lot. Nice red color I like.

Been meaning to get a surfboard area rug at a retailer, haven’t seen it online at all, probably ten years old on rack. Whenever I get there I’ll buy it.

I assumed your rug was made of two different materials for the cost difference but is the same. I’d take the online deal. I see area rugs coming through fedex as we’re demoing Floors I have to bring them in for customers so ups and fedex stay out of my way.

5. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Buying from a dealer or store gets you service that websites don't help with as much. Go ahead and buy online but don't expect the store to help much with that.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Karalover

Karalover Member

I found the same rug at prices from $1299 to $850. In the end I bought from another site that advertised it as a Karastan and the total cost for the rug and a 1/4" thick pad as just over $900. It has arrived and looks great.

7. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I can’t figure out some stuff on eBay where prices fluctuate drastically on brand new same exact item, if someone could explain logically I’d like the theory.

Glad that area rug looks nice. Shark Tank has a nice red area rug, so did Lowe’s at one point in time called Oddysey.