Is this black mould?

Discussion in 'Health & Safety Forum' started by Jamieandcharlie, Aug 18, 2017.

  1. Jamieandcharlie

    Jamieandcharlie New Member

    Hello there,

    My husband and I just moved into a house we are renting and decided to buy some stick on tiles for the bathroom to update it a little bit since it's an older house. I took off the old stick on tiles and found that there was a bloated piece of subfloor next to the tub thats almost like a cardboard-like texture. It seemed to be mouldy and broke apart easily so I ripped it all out. Underneath is a piece of wood that is inot pretty decent shape but on one side it looks mouldy. I'm wondering if I should treat it with bleach and the get a new thing piece of sub floor to nail down and then put the tiles on top OR if this is black mould and I should take the board out.

    I wasn't aware while taking the subfloor out that black mould was extremely u healthy to breathe in so I wasn't wearing a mask :(
    (I know that was incredibly stupid of me)

    First pic is the subfloor before ripped out
    Second is out bathroom floor with wood along tub without subfloor
    Third is the bad corner without subfloor

    Thanks for the help
    Jamie
     

    Attached Files:

  2. Chris Mha

    Chris Mha Charter Member Senior Member

    It definitely looks like mold and it's definitely black. However that does not mean that it is a A dangerous strain of mold. It would need to be tested.
     
  3. Jamieandcharlie

    Jamieandcharlie New Member

    My landlord said to get mould killing primer and paint over it and then let dry before installing new subfloor. If it is black mould and we just do that, will it be harmful still from beneath the floor board? Cos I personally don't care if it continues to eat at his property since I made him aware of it and it's his choice to deal with it the cheaper way. I just wanna make sure it's not gonna harm us, you know?
     
  4. Jim McClain

    Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

    Nobody can tell you about health dangers from a photo. Beyond that, please keep in mind many of us are flooring professionals and almost none of us are medical professionals.
     
  5. Hanover Fist

    Hanover Fist Pro Member

    Step 1: have a specialist test it. Your landlord should cover that cost, and may be required to by law (depending on your municipality) in order to prove safety and/or recieve a certificate of occupancy on an income property.

    If found to be non-toxic, you're OK to lock it in with a latex sealant like Killz.
    If found to be toxic mold, get it remediated by a professional. As above this may be required by law. Depending on the integrity of your landlord, he may not want to test it because of the $ he will be required to spend downstream if the results are bad.

    For my $0.02, I would not live there without having it tested at a minimum. If you have kids, pets, or breathing issues like asthma, inhaling toxic mold spores can create lifelong problems.
    Something like 90% of all molds are harmless though - if you don't come
    Into direct contact with them - so don't panic.
     
    • Like Like x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  6. Jamieandcharlie

    Jamieandcharlie New Member

    Thank you very much. I will fight to have it tested before we patch up the floor. :)

    And thank you to everyone else as well who replied to this thread.
     
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Hanover Fist

    Hanover Fist Pro Member

    No worries, glad to help. The work I do nowadays interfaces me with property insurance claims daily. Lots of water claims, lots of mold concerns. Testing, if it has to come
    Out of your pocket, shouldn't exceed $350. A cost well worth the peace of mind - because the mold you see does not represent the area of effect of the spore cloud, which is much larger.
     
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
Loading...

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.