Is "Sealing" required for LVT (Duraceramic)?

Discussion in 'Vinyl Flooring Q&A' started by Otis E, Apr 2, 2017.

1. Otis E

Otis E New Member

I am a newbie to this site and to flooring in general. I just found this website and think/hope you can help me sort through some of the information I have been receiving.

I am planning to replace 20+ year old vinyl sheet flooring in kitchen and laundry room with a vinyl tile - either Congoleum DuraCeramic or Mannington Alterna. The kitchen is over a basement, the laundry room is on a concrete slab. It appears the vinyl in the laundry room is glued directly to the concrete slab. I cannot tell what if anything is under the flooring in the kitchen.

I am receiving contradictory information from different flooring stores that have given me estimates. Please help me figure out what is real.

1.) Do either of those tiles need to be "sealed" (whatever that is!)? Does it matter if the tile is used with or without grout?

2.) Is either more durable than the other? The floors will only see light traffic - a couple of adults most of the time.

3.) Can the tile be installed over the existing sheet vinyl, which does have a slightly indented pattern simulating grout lines?

4.) If not, what type of underlay is generally recommended?

5.) The floor in the laundry room tapers toward the floor drain. If I lay a yardstick across the floor, the drain is down about 1/2 inch. Are theses tiles flexible enough to accommodate that much taper or does the floor have to be leveled?

6.) How soon after the tiles are installed can the appliances such as refrigerator and range be reinstalled? Is it the same with and without grout? Some say they can be moved back within a couple of hours, but online I am seeing 48 to 72 hours recommended.

I look forward to any help and information you can give me based on actual experience rather than simply sales pitches.

2. ScribeRight

ScribeRight Pro Member

No sealing necessary, I do thousands of S/F of Alterna each year, Yes make sure you grout it ! It comes with pre/mix grout , Careful not to grout more than a 4x4 area at a time, (it dries fast) Good product for un level floor ares it is flexible , After grouting let it sit over night before dancing on it . Great product ! Yes you can go over existing vinyl as long as it only has One layer and secure , I recommend to Skim level embossing of existing vinyl.

Attached Files:

3. j248

j248 I Support TFP

I would grout it for sure, this not only makes look much nicer, but blocks water from seeping between the tiles. Dura Ceramic, I believe, has the most rounded edge of all the big name LVT's, and Congoleum has the process patented. so if you were not going to grout them, and just butt them up, they will form a special relationship with dust and whatever else falls in between.

4. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

There is a joint sealer we've used a couple times when butted together. I like the look of the grouted, just not the grouting process.

5. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor Senior Member

Its a joint sealer for when there is no grout. I'd suggest against just butting the tiles, ruins the look

6. deb68

deb68 Member

I know this is an older post from spring time, but wanted to say that
    we have had our Dura Ceramic tile in our bathroom since 2005. We
    LOVE it! In the 12 years we have had it, we haven't had a single problem with it. I like it so much I am considering installing in our kitchen when we replace that flooring. It is also very pet friendly. Not the best pic of the floor, but we have ours grouted too.

IMG_20110704_122005.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  7. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

Always a good pic if there's a happy dog in it. :D

• Like Like x 1
  8. deb68

deb68 Member

He is our baby! His name is Primo. And I have to say he has run around on this floor from the bedroom down the hallway into the bathroom and skids across this floor and I have yet to see any marks on it lol. I love this stuff.

• Like Like x 2