Is it possible to cut an edge of Engineered Flooring once it has been installed?

Discussion in 'Hardwood and Laminates Q&A' started by lula jean, Jan 1, 2018.

1. lula jean

lula jean New Member

Our home sustained water damage from Hurricane Harvey. We did not flood, but our Fireplace leaked and it had to be replaced. FYI: The Hearth runs all the way across one wall the formal living room. The flooding was installed with a water barrier and was not notably damaged by water, but Issue 1: the Flooring shows about 1" of miscellaneous damage from where the stonemason who removed the original hearth and replaced it. Issue 2: Now the hearthstone is (naturally) uneven across the front and does not meet the edge of the flooring in all areas. In lieu of replacing our 8-month-old, discontinued flooring, I'd like them to cut one flooring plank wide of the vertical flooring and run one horizontal line of flooring (we have a box of it) to save us replacing the whole floor. This flooring is in an adjoining room and 2/3 of rest of the 1st floor of our house. I understand we'd have to fill in the gaps between the horizontal flooring and the hearth with grout- I can live with that.

Can this be done? If so, how? If not, please offer suggestions.

Attached Files:

2. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

It can be done!!
    So best case scenario you get someone with a track saw (festool makes a fabulous one) Measure out how far you want to cut and go to town. If you have more of your original flooring you could even drop a header in along that fireplace and if whoever you hire is REALLY worth their salt you can undercut that stone and make it look like it was always there. Now that might be asking a lot but it is what is possible.
    If all you want to do is cut out the damage and grout in the hole, well that is as easy as pie... which i find to be a terrible phrase because i have much trouble making pie.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

Your idea is to "picture frame" a narrow border around the masonry------after the fact, which can be done but would certainly require a HIGHLY skilled craftsman.

A simpler solution would be to match the existing hardwood with a CUSTOM milled, beveled edge piece of trim/molding that would set on top of the wood floor, be scribed into the masonry as neatly as is feasible. The rough edge of the molding scribed into the masonry could be filled with either grout, caulk or putty. So the filler material is either going to match the stone or the wood.

I would have the piece constructed to hide the present defects as narrow in width from the fireplace as still covers all the damage/defects. The thickness would be between 1/4" and 3/8" at the stone beveled down into the flooring. This would still be a detailed, tedious and time consuming project but much easier than trying to cut out and fit a picture frame border of the same engineered wood without any kind of molding/trim.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Incognito

If you hire a professional to do this inquire about an EXPANSION GAP around the engineered wood. Originally built/installed the wood would be cut short of the masonry or the stone would be undercut to allow natural movement of the wood from humidity and temperature variation.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

May be able to stain that existing edge so it looks better.

6. Tom Potter

Tom Potter Pro Member

If you have enough to do a couple row picture frame that would look sharp.

That can definitely be saved. Like said above, you just need a competent professional to do the job.

This is one i did a few months ago. Homeowner refused to let me under cut his stone work. A scribe, patience, and time.
    20170517_131627.jpg 20170517_131611.jpg 20170517_131551.jpg

7. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

Beautiful job, Tom, really nice.

8. Incognito

Wow, nice work Tom.

9. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Poor planning on someone’s part. Probably should have been built out further.

Good work Tom 200$ extra?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

I refuse to let people to refuse to let me undercut their stone work. Bully to that.
    Nice scribe though :)

11. Tom Potter

Tom Potter Pro Member

Thanks guys.
    Actually mike your pretty close. I think i charged an extra $ 150-175.

• Like Like x 1