Is Bendable Tile on the Horizon?

Discussion in 'Ceramic and Stone Q&A' started by Mike Antonetti, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Industries use technology from other Industries. If/when concrete formulas are bendable will that transfer to the Tile Industry? Or will the Tile industry offer the new technology to the concrete industry.

One of the biggest problems in Tile is cracking, much money is spent preventing and repairing. Will technology supersede all the costs associated with preventing cracks in tile.

https://www.concreteconstruction.ne...earchers-continue-work-on-bendable-concrete_c

2. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member Senior Member

Elastocrete in St George Utah has a flexible concrete.

3. All I saw were people struggling. Not sure what the end goal was, but you Ken would be one familiar with cutting edge systems.

4. kwfloors

You can't bend regular concrete that much without it cracking. I see concrete countertops on jobs all cracked, if they only knew..

5. I rarely see concrete countertops, last one I saw was about 5 years ago for bathroom vanity and it was pitted where water comes out of faucet. I just ask “why”

Interesting you have seen cracked ones. I assume definitely at front of sink was one spot.

We get asked all the time “are these cracks normal” then I have to explain control joints, lack of, and concrete shrinks as it cures.

6. kwfloors

Its a big deal here along with granite. I would use the elastocrete product as you can make it look like any rock out there without the weight.

7. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

I see lots of nice concrete countertops here. The pro’s do some really cool stuff with it. I’ve never been a fan of the grey plain concrete but they can do some really cool stuff.

Here’s a somewhat local company:

406 Stonecrete Designs

8. Wow, those look great! Definitely some skills with that company. I always been a fan of the live edge (not sure what its called with concrete).

9. kwfloors

10. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

I’ve seen some that I had to see if it wasn’t granite it looked so similar. Like most things, the DIY versions can be a little tacky, and the pro versions add some value

11. We called the granite profile “chiseled edge” which when in the mountain regions it really was matched to the decor. Did a job in Banner Elk N.C. With it, the center still had some sawcuts showing so we had to “flame pop” it. Granite heated will pop, outdoors that is some finishes for slip resistant called “flame finish” when it pops creates rough texture.

12. kwfloors

I think live edge comes from wood slabs.