Is 1/4" expansion gap necessary?

Discussion in 'Vinyl Flooring Q&A' started by diy-er96, Apr 29, 2019.

1. diy-er96

diy-er96 New Member

I am installing Mannington Adura Max floating vinyl floor in a 10 year old home and the recommend a 1/4" expansion gap but that looks so big and looks horrible with the big gap between the flooring and the trim. Can I do a smaller gap and be okay?

2. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

Big gap between the flooring and the trim?? You should have a 1/4” gap between the floor and the wall. Your trim will sit flat on your floor and cover the 1/4” gap.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

Unfortunately, some people don't remove their baseboard before installing a hard surface floor covering, like vinyl, hardwood or ceramic. Some feel they can't. The solution is to install an addition to the baseboard, after the new flooring is installed, called a base shoe molding, or quarter-round trim. There are all kinds, you can even make your own and paint or stain to match your base (I think it's ugly to match it to the flooring, but maybe that's just me).

Without the gap, you could be asking for serious trouble in the future.

PS: @diy-er96 you're just in time for our 13-13-13 Giveaway. Here's the particulars: The Floor PRO Community Celebrates its 13th Anniversary

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

Remove baseboards or put up new qr round to match base

5. Barry Carlton

Barry Carlton I Support TFP Senior Member Published

Yes. You can drop it down to 1/8 inch easily while still leaving 1/4 inch combined expansion. In a bathroom or other small area I drop it to 1/16th inch which still leaves 1/8 inch combined.

I.E. just leave a gap!