Installing toilets

Discussion in 'Other Home Decorating & Remodeling Projects' started by Don Monfils, Jan 28, 2017.

1. Don Monfils

Don Monfils PRO CARPET Charter Member

We often run into issues after installing
    a new bathroom floor. The flooring ends up
    being higher than the toilet flange.
    I usually use the thicker wax rings with the
    attached plastic flange. A few times I have stacked a second
    wax ring ( without the flange) . Then I wonder if the top wax
    ring will shift or the toilet might leak eventually.

I was talking with a plumber on a job , and he showed me
    these flange extenders. They are 1/4" thick and you can stack
    up to 3 on top of the flange. You put a bead if silicone in between
    and then screw them down.

Attached Files:

2. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

I had a great reply but my wife riled up the dogs and they kicked my mouse and deleted my post. I'm over it!

3. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

We just used the blue rubber type flange on a temporary set, it comes with a rubber spacer as well. So we threw some scrap pieces of tile in place to set on until the new tile goes in, the ring is reusable. I'm so over the wax rings, disgusting mess. I didn't get a picture.

I have an issue with supply lines made with a plastic fastener on the stainless braided line. I find that plastic weakens over time and can crack with some pressure. I cannot locate all metal lines

Attached Files:

4. Barry Carlton

Barry Carlton Senior Member Published

I have used literally hundreds of those with no complaints over the years. I get them at HD.

5. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

How do you guys feel about the foam forever rings? Never tried one but I have heard a few plumbers talking smack about them.

6. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor Senior Member

Good tip don, haven't seen them locally and it's an hr to the big box store but I'll have to grab a few

7. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

A lot of times the flange bolt surround is cracked, so that ring along with need to increase height fixes the cracked plastic issue, then there's other repair rings, lot of stuff on those shelves for repair.

8. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I have a plumber friend that I would use for toilets I need done. He currently is recovering from 2 strokes he had last fall so I'm on my own. Anyway, he told me about the wax with the flange clogging the hole so don't use them, just wax. Clean the surfaces good and then take the wax and work it with your hands to soften it and make it sticky. Use the thick one or 1 and a half of the regular wax rings. then he lightly torches the toilet to warm it a little and sets it on the wax. Good to go. Those build ups are handy, we run into old rusted off flanges.

9. ScribeRight

ScribeRight Pro Member

Been using the Jumbo Wax ring for years, I have found that sometimes the plastic flange will not hold the stool stable enough as the steel and at that point i tell the customer to contact a professional plumber to correct any issues..My insurance does Not cover me for any Plumbing leaks or damage. we really should not be reinstalling stools ..Just removing it to get the damn floor installed.JMHO

10. epoxyman

epoxyman Pro Member

11. kwfloors

That's another thing he did, bolt the bolts down to the flange with another nut and washer. No more spinning.

12. Don Monfils

Don Monfils PRO CARPET Charter Member

That's a cool tool. I have run into that also

That's a good idea!

13. Barry Carlton

Barry Carlton Senior Member Published

I use the old nuts and washers to screw the bolts to the flange when I can.

14. Steve Olson

Steve Olson Hardwood/Laminate Guru Charter Member Senior Member

I fasten my bolts down too; drives me crazy when the bolts are just stuck, and spin rather then loosen. Then I discovered hoe fast my Fein tools goes thru them.

So, what IS the ideal flange height when resetting the toilet? I admit I've never paid attention or really looked. I judge make a judgement based on what I see when I pull the toilet. I'd rather have it low then too high. I always cringe when I see a flange up so high, there's just a smear of wax between it, and the toilet.

When that happens, I have them call a plumber.

15. seamsealer

seamsealer Pro Member

Pulling and resetting toilets can open a can of worms. We eventually used plumbers to do that job, our job was floors. If they have problems with the plumbing, it got fixed and fixed right. You don't want to open yourself to plumbing liability when you are not a plumber.

Had a building inspector chew my ass for pulling a toilet, had to remind him that I only pulled it and the plumber would be around later to set it. He wanted to ban me from doing work in that city. The owners of the house thought he was a nut. They don't make much money, but they wield a lot of power.

16. Floor Boss

Floor Boss Flooring Professional and Mgr. I Support TFP

Sadly for our company, our insurance work pays big bucks to remove and reset toilets. For the company, it's about profit. The liability ends up on our subs, or sometimes on us.
    Several have stated, we are floor covering installers, not plumbers.
    Then there are the clients that take their own toilets off, and we have no idea what was working properly or not. Call backs for leaks, old supply lines, rigid supply lines, you name it. It's rarely worth the fee paid, but as it gets 'rammed down our throats'..... "If we don't move them, we won't get the job"
    messed up thinking, but true.....
    DB

and Oh.... can you assemble our new toilet and haul away the old please? The sales person said that you would!

17. Nate Hall

Nate Hall Types With Elbows Senior Member Published

I charge $100.00 for a toilet r&r. If you don't like my price, call a plumber...and since he's in there with the toilet off, why don't you have him install the floor. If I can do his job, surely he can do mine...

18. kwfloors

The way it is here, to get a plumber out twice to a job to deal with the toilet its like $92. Some don't have the time or care. My insurance doesn't cover that but helping people is helping people. I just say to them 'I didn't do that'. I doubt that your plumber,Nate, is going to do your floor too. Most plumbers I know have me do their flooring.

19. Nate Hall

Nate Hall Types With Elbows Senior Member Published

I wouldn't be that rude with a client but I think it pretty loud...
    Most plumbers around here have a $250.00 minimum charge.

20. seamsealer

seamsealer Pro Member

Doing the toilet pull and reset is not all that difficult to do, but the liability that comes with that could, if there was a flood and it was you, could bankrupt you. I don't think my liability insurance would cover me doing another trades job. They may turn their back on you as you are not a plumber. Remember, those are licensed trades and the state takes that very seriously.