Installing laminate trims

Discussion in 'Hardwood & Laminate Sales and Installations' started by kwfloors, Jan 23, 2017.

1. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I was on a site looking at what they said to install the trims and they said to use PUR glue for the track. I have glued them the day before with pl construction adhesive which works. I like to screw them down also but you need to be careful not too deep as it breaks through the track. Any other tricks out there?

2. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I think after awhile most everyone forego' the track. I like hard adhesive for the foot(construction adhesive or quickgrab) then silicone for the overlap edges. I think it's one of the top failures in laminate flooring.

3. kwfloors

So many different tracks too. Some metal, some plastic. The metal ones I have used were wider so you could drill it for a alumnail on concrete. These plastic ones are a bit fussier.

4. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

I've been using clear/ translucent silicone and 23 ga pin nails for the past 4 or 5 years. The silicone holds like a champ and if the reducer needs to be removed for whatever reason, it's just silicone. If I'm adhering the reducer to concrete, a couple of dabs of hot glue will hold it until the silicone sets up.

I never did like the tracks much. They are a huge time suck and a weak point.

5. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

I avoid using the track unless I have to.

6. Steve Olson

Steve Olson Hardwood/Laminate Guru Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I've been using this method for several years. I use the Orcon Peak Buster glue gun, along with some construction adhesive. I fit my strips, put a thin bead of adhesive along the length of the trasition, leaving 3 dime size blank spots, on the ends, and middle. Put some hot melt in those areas, and set it in place. Just have to hold it in place to 30-45 seconds or so, for the hot melt to grab. That holds it in place until the construction adhesive sets up. I don't use the tracks at all

I don't know if Darius remembers, but some years ago when he was advisesing, or knew someone at Orcon, about this and a couple other ways I use that peak buster, besides for sealing seams. They were going thru some organization or financial woes, and I contacted them thinking this might help them sell more guns. They basically blew me off, but more then a couple guys in my area have them now, and the main usage isn't for carpet

7. kwfloors

The job I'm on now has t-molding that's like a vinyl insert type of track. I had some gorilla glue so I used that today and weighted it down. It set in about 3 hours good enough not to move so I'll see how it is tomorrow.

8. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Just asking here. Why couldn't you use some of that fly trap type double face tape to hold down your moldings. It holds carpet reducers very well.:hu:

:old:

Daris

9. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

That's what I do. Works well for reducers to vinyl/concrete but doesn't work as well if you need to tuck carpet up to them.

10. kwfloors

These are the trims. T-mold and reducer have a plastic track. The gorilla glue seems to have worked. I don't trust the double tape to hold it down forever. I have used it under the baby threshold and that type of trim.

Matching Trim and Molding for COREtec® Luxury Vinyl

11. Mike Sliwinski

Mike Sliwinski The Doctor Is In I Support TFP Senior Member

This just goes to show, manufactures/engineers / Instruction manuals
    don't always hit the intended mark when it comes to real world applications and that's OK !! The process naturally begins w/ them, but maybe could end with modifications, from the advise of Pro installers like Steve and the like :yesss:

I see a second tool coming to market.....' Reducer Busting glue Gun' :p

Mike

12. Mill-End

Mill-End Pro Member

I've been using the Sigafloor sticky tape for years. Never had any issues. Seem when you use the track it always seems to split at the leg sooner or later.

13. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Found an in place failure. The spot where the T connects to the leg separates, this is an install in furniture store which I'm sure furniture is slid around over transitions. Also not much expansion joint. I had a repair in which the laminate moved vertically, I left the broken leg secured to the floor, removed the leg on the new piece and silicones the band to the top surface, allowed flexing, so basically it was a band on top. Hopefully they get a couple more years until a nice glue down plank can go in.

Attached Files:

14. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

Nice stair step.