Installing Laminate flooring multiple rooms, hallway and closet

Discussion in 'Hardwood and Laminates Q&A' started by Lisab1, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Lisab1

Lisab1 New Member

I have a question about where to start when laying laminate in multiple rooms, hallway and closet. Should I start in the hallway and work to the left, or start in the closet and work out into the large rooms then into the hallway? The layout is a huge square with the exception of the hallway and closet. Both the hall way and closet are off the left side of each of the large rooms.

2. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

A sketch or diagram of the layout would help us to give you better advice.

3. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I usually start in difficult areas and work out to open as long as you’re positive it’s staying square with rest of large room. Might need a T mold/isolation joint there though. I work left to right due to connecting mechanism. Haven’t installed in awhile since floating floors became popular. You might be done already!

4. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

Difficult areas:eek: Since most floating floors call for T-moldings in the doorways, it’s all just squares and rectangles these days. Find your longest run and square off of that. Visually the T-molds look like crap but from an installation POV it sure speeds things up.

As far as left to right or right to left, that all depends on the product. I think most are left to right but I’ve run across an oddball one here and there over the years. For some odd reason my buddy liked to work backwards whenever we did a floating tongue and groove glue joint floor and it drove me nuts. Why make things any more difficult than it has to be. I think he did it just to piss me off, or to drag the job out. Probably both. Nothing cologne can’t fix.

• Funny Funny x 1