Installing laminate floor around corner fireplace

Discussion in 'Hardwood and Laminates Q&A' started by Galixy5, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Galixy5

Galixy5 Member

Good afternoon all,

I am new to the forum and this is my first post.

I am halfway through installing my new laminate floor using Allen and Roth 7.48-in W x 3.93-ft L 10mm Golden Valley Smooth Laminate Wood Planks and had a question on the best way to install around my fireplace.

I have read lots of info on the web about installing around a brick fireplace but couldn't really find anything like my situation.

I have already under cut around the brick

I have uploaded a couple of pics of the layout.

If anymore info is needed please let me know!

Thanks for the help!!

Attached Files:

• 2.png
      2.png
      File size:
      494.2 KB
      Views:
    • 1.png
      1.png
      File size:
      712.3 KB
      Views:
  2. Bud Cline

Bud Cline Tile Expert Charter Member Senior Member Published

If you have undercut the brick, then what's the issue?

3. Galixy5

Galixy5 Member

Thanks for the quick response. My issue is I'm not sure how to install it so that it slides in where I have undercut the brick. Since its tongue and groove, I don't know how to get it to inner-lock.

4. Bud Cline

Okay gotcha! Your undercut will have to be sufficient enough to allow for some movement. Not sure what direction you are trying to go but you should look at assembling two rows of laminate, THEN slide the (two row) assembly into the undercut-groove.

Will that work?

5. Galixy5

Galixy5 Member

I see what you are saying....however they way in which I have been installing is starting from the other end of the room opposite of the fireplace and moving from right to left of the pic I posted....which means when I am tapping the boards into place, I am tapping away from the fireplace.

Looking at the picture you see the groove. So I am installing the tongue in the groove at an angle then locking in place moving right to left of the pic.

I have undercut enough for movement I just don't know the best way to get them under there given the situation.

Do I continue the instillation path I started or do I divert from it while installing around the fireplace?

6. Bud Cline

I would get within three or four rows of the fireplace so that the dimension of the board that is to be tucked under the brick can be accurately measured and cut. Then, assemble as suggested and see if you can make your joint away from the fireplace instead of at the fireplace. Hopefully the product will allow enough "slop" (if you will) to make the final assembly possible. May be that the "necessary-tilt" won't allow this to happen.

7. JPfloor

JPfloor Pro Member

Looks like an angle cut up to the fireplace... All good advice so far.... If you're still having trouble I would try to make the undercut deep enough so that you can lay the board in place and tap your butt joint together using a rubber mallet on the face of the board and still have your cut covered. If that can't work you could always cut the bottom of the groove off at the butt end and use a dab of wood glue on the tongue, then tape in place until dry... That's a last resort.

8. Majwoody

Majwoody Pro Member

Start building left to right and tap you first board under. You can usually lock the end joint and work the length joint together afterwards. It'll take some finesse but you'lI get a feel for it. Some guys just trim them out with end moulding. Undercutting looks way better.

9. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Is underlayment attached? Should there be plastic under as well?

I passed on a bid for laminate that had a fireplace

Can you tap the end with block that can slide under?

Sometimes you have to trim partial tongue off and glue pieces together. I'm not sure how those lock, but that's another reason laminate isn't my favorite.

Usually the directions under the label will recommend what to do in those instances.

10. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I looked and there are NO installation instructions on the net for this Lowe's product.

Without instructions we are just guessing as to what is the preferred method of install. You should have instructions in the carton, read'em.

11. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Cut of the locking lip of the installed piece for an inch at the fireplace. Then on the next row use a little glue on the tongue of the piece that slides into it. You will need the tapping block to force that last piece in on that row as you can't lift and lock.

12. Galixy5

Galixy5 Member

Firstly, thank all you guys for the help!

I believe I was making harder than it actually was. Once I started to do it, it made more sense.

Here's some pics....

I only have a little bit left. One strip to finish the room then on to a small hallway and the transitions.

Attached Files:

13. Hanover Fist

Hanover Fist Pro Member

Looks great!
    I've seen 'pro' work that doesn't look that good around a fireplace, genuinely.

And it's far better to outthink yourself beforehand than afterwards.
    At least the results will be worlds apart.

14. Galixy5

Galixy5 Member

Thank you Hanover!!! I'm very please with how it turned out.

15. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

Very nice job.