Installing 1/2 engineered over 3/4 T&G pine planks

Discussion in 'Hardwood and Laminates Q&A' started by sibanez, Dec 28, 2017.

1. sibanez

sibanez New Member

Material: Installing 5 inch wide plans of Armstrong engineered hickory.

Subfloor: T&G pine flooring, 3.5 inch wide by 24mm thick, nailed directly to joists. Joists are 2x12 with a basement underneath. Subfloor is flat with minimal squeaking.

Square footage: 365, house is set up like a shotgun everything front to back in a narrow rectangle. Width is 159 inches and length is 320 inches (ish).

Question: I've been interviewing installers and the three that I've spoke with all say that they recommend installing the engineered hardwood over the existing flooring. Nobody in my area wants to refinish it and the recommendation is to install new wood.

One old timer, who comes highly recommended from several people in my town, said the existing floor is settled and strong and that adding plywood just adds another layer that will shift.

The house was built in 1920. Reason for replacement is that there are some splinters from the previous owner dragging furniture across it repeatedly and I can't find anyone who wants to refinish it for under $4K.

From what I've researched, most people suggest to put down an underlayment before installing the wood. Each installer said they would put down plywood, but none of them think it is needed.

2. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

I would strongly recommend you listen to that old fellow. Everyone is so gun shy of things they aren't familiar with. There is no need to throw your money away on more anything. I come from Eastern Canada, you know, the old part. We saw more site milled wood floors than i care to remember and i have refinished a lot and installed hardwood on my fair share. I will trade a well done timber floor for a plywood one any day of the week.

3. sibanez

sibanez New Member

Thank you for the quick reply. I'm used to living in new construction and this old house is a first for me. Previous owner did a lot of things wrong and I'm trying to avoid the same pitfalls.