Installer's Profit Potential in Inspection Services

Discussion in 'Article Discussion Forum' started by Jim McClain, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Jim McClain

Jim McClain TFP Owner/Founder Administrator

Article discussion:

Installers: Expand Your Profit Potential By Offering Inspection Services
    by Robert Blochinger in the Winter 2014 issue of ProInstaller Magazine

[excerpt=Robert Blochinger]Becoming an inspector is a direct progression from installing and/or cleaning floor coverings. The inspector must have the know-how to investigate the what, why, and how the job went wrong and how to correct the condition, if possible.

Your purpose to become an inspector is not to find out why your work went wrong but to increase your income and profit inspecting flooring failures due to product, preparation, installation or maintenance. Being an experienced installer makes you a great candidate for an inspector. Having cleaning and maintenance experience is also beneficial.[/excerpt]

Read the whole article, beginning on page 36, of the Winter 2014 issue, or click here to read the article online (flip to pages 32-33).

[​IMG]Many of our TFP member installer pros have talked about changing their career course. Flooring inspections might be one direction to go. Many of our TFP member inspector pros started, or continue in the installation segment of our industry. I hope you will take the time to read this article and share your thoughts here.

This is the inauguration of a partnership with ProInstaller Magazine to share their content with our members and visitors in the flooring industry. I hope you will help kick this off with a good discussion.

If you are not a current subscriber to ProInstaller Magazine, click here to sign-up for ProInstaller Magazine's monthly enewsletter and quarterly digital edition. And be sure to Like ProInstaller Magazine on facebook.

2. Nate Hall

Nate Hall Types With toes I Support TFP Senior Member Published

I am an installer and I am a certified NFIC inspector. While inspections are not as lucrative as one would think, being an installer gives one the potential to solve problems that one finds on the floors one inspects. That can also be an additional source of income. This can discretely be done ONLY when an inspector is hired by the consumer to find out why the floor failed. The article touches on "editorializing" but does not mention this source of additional income.

3. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I too believe that an installer has a very good knowledge base to build on for becoming an inspector. I also believe that a one week course is insufficient to give anyone the background to be a proficient inspector.

The inspection industry estimates that 80-95% of the concerns out there are installation related, so an installer should be in on the ground floor. However it is the other 20% that can cause problems, wear claims, color issues, true mfg. defects etc. I would recommend riding along with someone for several weeks to get a real education. Then study, study, study on fibers/construction/and defects.

4. Nate Hall

Nate Hall Types With toes I Support TFP Senior Member Published

I believe the 85-90% claim number is tha amount of failures attributed to installer error. Just because the installer is blamed does not always mean it is all the fault of the installer. There are often extenuating circumstances and I have personally witnessed faulty claims against installers.
    It's not going to stop me from doing inspection.

5. FloorDoc

FloorDoc Resting In Peace Charter Member

I started installing in 1973, for the last 15 to 16 years I've been a full time inspector. It a great living and pays the most for the least amount of time, no employees, no building, a bag of inspection tools and six to seven continuing education classes each year. I think it should be a requirement that the inspector hold, (in Calif), a C-15 floor covering lic. As it used to cost me a lot after the inspector "found", something wrong that I did, (even if it was not related to the complaint), I became an inspector. Honestly the installation failures I see are usually the installer not adhering to the installation guidelines and/or doing ot the same way he/she's always done it and "it ain't gone bad yet". I train/teach/certify for the CFI now and explain to the installers that take my class,,, keep me out of your rear view mirror,,,, you know what you've done wrong,,, don't continually do it. It's NOT YOUR HOME, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO DO PREP FOR FREE,,,, it's all how you approach your boss, your customer or the contractor you work for. If you are truly the best installer in your area, you charge the highest fees, are always booked and perform your job like a true professional.