Installer Installed 3/4" hardwood parallel to the Joists

Discussion in 'Solid and Engineered Hardwood Q&A' started by hello, May 11, 2010.

1. hello

hello Member

Hello folks,
    I have a situation my Hardwood floor Installer installed the 3/4" thickness 3 1/4" wide hardwood floor parallel to the Joists(which are 16 inches apart), directly on a 3/4" particle floor(with no plywood additional subfloor). Everybody is telling me he has done it wrong, either tear it down, rebuy the wood and re-install it. or put 2X6 blocking between the joists from beneath and glue them to the sub-floor. Since I haven't paid the installer anything yet I have the option to choose my options, what does the pros here suggest ? My builder is threatening me that if you would put 2X6 blockings, your floor may squeak and may make things worst for you. I am very confused right now, which way to go, any help is appreciated.

2. Peter Kodner

Peter Kodner Inspector Floors Charter Member Senior Member

Hello, hello! The first question is whether you actually have particle board or oriented strand board (OSB). Does it look like chip up plywood or sawdust glued together?

This is very important as particle board is unacceptable for any nail down flooring.

3. stullis

stullis Charter Member Senior Member

Yep if it is truly particle board and not oriented strand board (OSB) then removal is the only option. If it is OSB, blocking installed properly underneath should help.

So what does your builder propose to do to fix your problems?
    Removal, new wood and reinstall should not be your expense. :ohno:

Last edited: May 11, 2010
  4. hello

hello Member

5. hello

hello Member

The builder allowed me to bring in an outside contractor to work on the project. So builder is neither sympathatic to me nor the installer. They are just telling me "your installer has screwed up, if you want happiness regards to your house, get it corrected now". On the other hand the Installer is a poor guy, he's showing his inability to bear the material loss. Wood is installed this way in Hight traffic foyer area and big living room. I am thinking of buying the wood for foyer and getting it replaced and putting blocking system under the living room. I was just trying to find out if it was worth ripping the wood even in foyer area and blocking under everything should work. Or blocking would not work atall under anything ?

6. stullis

Builder is not totally without fault. It is his responsibility to provide an area that is acceptable to the finish floor product you choose and should have been discussed with you at some point in the planning and building process.

The installer should also have known to say "hey we need to do something here if this is the product and direction you want to run the product".

Both builder and installer seem incompetent to me. :(

I'll repeat myself,
    "Yep if it is truly particle board and not oriented strand board (OSB) then removal is the only option. If it is OSB, blocking installed properly underneath should help. "

Only other option is to live with it and take a chance, not the option I would do but it is an option.

7. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

8. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

If it is truly Advantech, that is a great product. Throw some blocks under it and your good to go. On the other hand is the floor flat, does it show the joist lines?? If it is not flat and telegraphs the subfloor or joist lines then it needs to come out.

9. hello

hello Member

It's a new construction & I would guess it's perfectly flat, I haven't closely observed the floor to see the Joist lines, but I would guess you won't see lines on a 3/4" thick newly installed subfloor

10. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

It is always best NOT to guess. Take the time to go and look!!

If the joist are not flat you WILL see where they are even through the 3/4 inch floor.

11. hello

hello Member

flooring is already done. in all of first floor. Does looiking at 2nd floor make any difference ?

12. Roland Thompson

Roland Thompson Charter Member Senior Member

You said that the wood was that way in foyer and big LR, is the rest of the wood installed correct going acrossed the joist? Did the joist change in those areas? If so was he trying to keep all the wood going the same way?
    I have seen joist change in big homes before and yhen you need to deside how you want it.

Roland

13. hello

hello Member

The Builder informed me about the wrong doing of the Installer while he was in the middle of the project. So I protected the dining room & big family room. But foyer & living room fell prey to him. I am naive with regards to the building things..I did not know what a joist is until a week ago.

14. Roland Thompson

Roland Thompson Charter Member Senior Member

So what you are saying is you had the installer change to going the other way in the other area? Do they connect? If the installer knowing that it was going in wrong then he should take care of it, or give you a warrenty of issue that could come up.

Roland

15. stullis

AdvanTech is a high end OSB product which according to some is better than plywood. You may not have an issue with running parallel to the joist but I would still recommend adding blocking.

Just out of curiosity what size are the joist 2x ?? or are they trusses?
    And what is the span?
    Span is how the length of the joist from support to support.
    You already said they were 16" on center.

16. hello

hello Member

joists are 2x10 and span of the joists are about 12'

17. TwoStar

TwoStar Maybe Three

Oh, I remember the peaceful days before I knew what a joist was. It is difficult for me to witness the moment when innocence dies.;)

Whatever the outcome of this project, which you seem to be on top of, my advice is to get another pro to help with oversight. This person will be able to give you advice, having seen your floor. Bringing the issue here is a good idea but the next step should be to get a outside pro to help. Just my opinion.

Last edited: May 14, 2010
  18. Orlando

Orlando Charter Member

While it is recommended to run the hardwood opposite of the floorjoists since it is over good quality OSB I serioulsy doubt you will have a problem.
    I have done it occasionally when the customer "wanted" it run that way (I made them sign a waiver) and never had any problems on any of the jobs
    Run with the joists over anything less than 3/4" and it would definatly have issues

19. GoodHouse

GoodHouse Charter Member

The OP said he had 3/4" particle board over the floor joists. Obviously its OSB, particle board is NEVER used as the main decking of the house. You would fall through when walking.

Secondly, 3/4" OSB advantech with wood running parallel to joists is perfectly fine. It will not sag, separate or move abnormally. Its a nice solid base. The only time you would have to sincerely worry about this is with 1/2" plywood sub floor.

20. rusty baker

rusty baker Well-Known Member

One of the subdivisions that I worked in near KC had particle board as the decking and had no problems.