Installation questions

Discussion in 'Carpet Q&A' started by StacieB, Apr 20, 2017.

1. StacieB

StacieB Member

See my previous posts re carpet selection. So we've decided to go with the Shaw Gold for our home (LR/DR, stairs, hall and 4 bedrooms). Two local shops offer this carpet so I'm getting quotes from both. What should I ask re installation? Should the carpet be power stretched and what should I ask re seams? Any other installation questions I should ask to help me compare stores? Both are local family stores (not big box or wholesale). Thanks!
  2. Chris Mha

Chris Mha Charter Member Senior Member

Ask them if they seam sealer they're seams.
  3. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Do they use Koolglide? Copy of their certification, years of experience.
  4. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

Sealing seams in carpet is the standard - hot melt or liquid latex or acrylic is acceptable (hot melt is better, but it's not the rule). Making seams with a Kool Glide is not a standard and many installers don't have one. It's not a crime. It's an expensive tool and it can save a lot of time and effort and is able to solve problems. But a regular carpet seaming iron is perfectly acceptable.

Power stretching is the standard, even in small rooms.

There are a lot of things carpet installers should know, but it may not always be possible to do everything by the book. It would be great if all installers went to classes, seminars and other educational opportunities. It would be even better if they all got certified. But the fact is, you can find excellent installers that are not certified. And unfortunately, not all certified installers do a conscientious, professional job every time. Of course, your chances for an expert job are higher with a well trained, certified installer, but it doesn't always work out that way.

As a consumer, you would be wise to at least have a basic knowledge of what is in the book. Here it is: Standard for Installation of Residential Carpet: CRI-105:pdf:
  5. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I like koolglide because it gives you the opportunity to reset spots of a seam. If overlapped or gapped. With a regular iron, that is not an option.

Maybe ask if there are different levels of installers, ones who do all the right procedures that may charge a little more. We did all the right things but the retailer didn't want to pay more for it, so we stopped installing most every product.
  6. Ed

Ed Charter Member

Simply asking the retailer if they install by CRI standards is probably enough to prod them into sending their best installers. If the retailer doesn't know what CRI is , that would be a red flag. Most are aware of the standards which include seam sealing and power stretching even if they don't do it on every job. Simply asking would probably be enough to insure it is done right and certainly easier than waiting until after the install and calling them out for deviating from standards.