Installation of vinyl planks on the basement concrete.

Discussion in 'Vinyl Flooring Q&A' started by adam k, Nov 2, 2017.

1. adam k

adam k New Member

Right now the room floor is covered with carpet glued to the concrete. After I remove carpet do I need to scrape floor to be smooth and free from adhesive combine with fiber from the bottom of the carpet? I do plan to install underlayment before I install the vinyl planks. Also (3) of the walls around the room have French drain about three quarter inch wide. Can I lay the floor planks from the edge of the French drain concrete without installing any spacer beetwen the edge and the wall? BTW above the French drain there's paneling on furring walls. Should I take something in consideration regarding all this issues?

2. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I personally would remove adhesive. Not sure what would happen to adhesive once moisture vapor is blocked from the roll membrane.

3. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

If it is too hard to scrape the adhesive off, you could float the floor with a patching compound to eliminate and stick to the floor.

4. PHX12

PHX12 New Member

the easiest and fastest way to remove any glue or mortar from a concrete floor would be to use a floor grinding tool.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2017
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Tom Potter

Tom Potter I Support TFP

What kind of underlayment would you install on concrete? Also im assuming you want to butt up to the drain, not go over it? Only spacer needed would be for tapping against. I dont see how the paneling would be an issue. And as for the glue, hopefully its dried out enough to just scrape it off.. if still sticky then try your best with a good scraper blade. If you aren't having good luck and it isn't huge globs of glue, give it a good float with ardex FF or equivalent.
    Is it a floating floor or glue down?