Install rates in Texas

Discussion in 'a Floor Pro Looking For Work' started by CarpetSlayer, Oct 3, 2017.

1. CarpetSlayer

CarpetSlayer Pro Member

I was tossing around the idea of moving to the Houston area to pick up work. I was just wondering if anybody here knew the rates guys get down there for Carpet, vinyl, and laminate/evp.

2. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

As far as the FEMA/emergency hurricane relief and INSURANCE coverage all bets are off. It ought to be a windfall for honest, competent installers willing to kick ass and take names.

3. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

When Katrina went through La we had a bunch of installers go down there and said it was a worst mistake as pay was low and sometimes didn't get it. So they came back home. If you are thinking of going down there to make a fast buck, I'd check it out real well.

:old:

Daris

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Floor Boss

Floor Boss Flooring Professional and Mgr. I Support TFP

Working for a franchise that does a lot of insurance work in the SF East bay, I can tell you that the insurance companies have a formula that averages labor prices across the country. The result of their formula actually decreases the retail rates of 85% of our labor catalog. Some of the labor items are 'even money/cost' leaving 0 profit built in.
    The funny thing is that our sales staff will scratch and claw to get labor items like removing and resetting Toilets, because the insurance companies pay 300% more than our book rate. And of course, the mitigation and restoration contractors are also clambering for those 'out of whack' items.
    Anywho, the reality is that their formula contributes to holding labor prices to 1995-2000 rates in the (insanely expensive) bay area.
    But that's just my 'rant' so I'll stop there!

Research thoroughly before diving in head first!

David

• Like Like x 1
  5. CarpetSlayer

CarpetSlayer Pro Member

Thank you guys very much for the info. I'll definitely put a lot of thought into any decision I make.

6. Hanover Fist

Hanover Fist Pro Member

Disaster work always sounds good on paper, but there's tons to consider:
    - lack of normal job site cleanliness/sanitation
    - Local construction crews are maxed out, so nothing goes through as scheduled
    - Materials transport is bottlenecked, so even if the above is fine, having all material on hand is a crapshoot.
    - Insurance payments often are jointly paid to the insured AND their mortgage company, and checks need to be consigned: good luck collecting before 90 days from completion
    - You will be undercut on rates by others who also came down to feed off the chum in the water
    - home/business owners will actively work to pocket a portion of any settlement, on YOUR back.

I'd stay where it's comfy, and avoid that shyte at all costs - for my $0.02

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

WOW! Great points. Essentially, it sounds like GOVERNMENT WORK. When anyone on the outside sees what governments pays for crap it's mindbending because they just don't know how different the process can be from the "real world".

You don't just roll in there with your truck and tools and git 'er done. It's a lot more about NOT getting anything done while a bunch of desk jockeys run up the cost of doing business by interfering in every possible way with attempts at productivity and efficiency. The sooner you get that job done the sooner they have to stop pretending like they've got something to do as far as being involved in the project. So the reaity is that they are there in every way to slow down the process and run up YOUR cost of doing business for their own personal benefit.

I shit you not.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1