Inspector Training

Discussion in 'Industry News, Training & Organizations' started by Don Benham, May 11, 2016.

1. Don Benham

Don Benham Quality Control/Service Managr Charter Member

Hello all,
    I don't post here very often but I'm wondering what some of the good(best) sources for inspector certification. I have been out of full time installation (after 25 years on the floor) for 2 years now, working Quality Control for a mid-sized retailer since then.

I am moving up to Upstate NY (home) in a few weeks so I'm looking for work in the new area. I'd really be interested in becoming an inspector. I really don't want to invest money in a certification that isn't respected by the industry, or that won't give me a return on my investment.

Even if I'm not working full time as an inspector, I think it would be a good addition to my "tool box", having done most, but not all, of everything else.

Anyone able to recommend a good school for me to contact? Any flooring type.

Thank you in advance

Don

2. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

FCITS? Some of CFI, NWFA? And there's Lew Migliores company, maybe ask them who is credible. I went thru FCITS many years ago, not sure how they roll today. I've been thinking about getting back into inspection services, no telling which direction I'm going.

Basically, no one installs to standards, products are junk, moisture will always be an issue, so there's plenty of work to be done. Oh yeah, floor prep usually is inadequate as well.

FloorTek EXPO 2016 | The Floor Pro Community

3. UncleCliffie

UncleCliffie Charter Member

I also was certified by FCITS for carpet back in the mid 1990's. I went back for the hard surface after I retired in December 1999. I took a CFI inspector course for installation and a Formica school for Architecture specification. I had 30 years experience in the floor covering field when I certified for carpet. I figured out I needed wood certification and ceramic certificate to complete my briefcase. Since my area is a low density population in Iowa, I needed all of the certs to do the job I felt would be required. At the time I was pushing 70 years of age, so I hung up the kit because without ALL of the training, I simply felt I was not qualified. Also, I fell off my roof at home in 2009 and I was not physically able to proceed.
    Dick

4. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

5. Roland Thompson

Roland Thompson Charter Member Senior Member

Don, any of the ones that they gave you are good. What it comes down to is becoming known for doing an honest report.

6. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

What area of NY? Buffalo south into the upper tier of PA needs a good inspector.

7. Don Benham

Don Benham Quality Control/Service Managr Charter Member

Thank you everyone.

Those suggestions line up with what I was thinking.

Elmer Fudd: that's exactly where I will be. Starting in Buffalo but plan to settle in Olean in the Southern Tier where we have some land. Right up against the Pa. border. Beautiful place and now that the kids are grown we are ready to leave N. Virginia.

I really appreciate the advice.

Don