In The Blood

Discussion in 'Taking a Break From Flooring' started by Barry Carlton, Jan 21, 2017.

1. Barry Carlton

Barry Carlton I Support TFP Senior Member Published

Hey guys:D

Wow! It's been about 4 years since I've done floors as a means of living. Time sure does fly!

I'm still cooking. Not like I would like to. The catering never took off like I had hoped. I'm training for management at a skilled nursing facility. (Certified Dietary Manager) I left a managing position at an Independent Living complex (Dining Services Director) due to regional management's unethical treatment of both employees and residents. Sure liked that job! Left on stellar terms though in case I ever end back up in Fresno or if the current regional team leaves.

I was in a car group this morning and the subject of work came up. Most felt that there is not a 'perfect' job but rather jobs that can be tolerated to a greater or lesser degree to make a living. I have to disagree. I installed flooring for 35 years, full time most of the time, as a 'self employed' contractor. In retrospect, while not a "perfect" job I had very few complaints real or imagined, personally or from my customers. Granted, there were days I wished I never heard of flooring, but really, those where few and far between, and just a handful at most.

Goodness knows I miss flooring. There is a feeling of accomplishment to look back on a job well done at the end of the day, then later, sometimes years or a decade or so later, to see your workmanship still in use and looking good. I still do an occasional job here or there and feel the same sense of accomplishment, along with feeling...well, sore, very very sore for a day or so. :eek:

I look back on pictures and am so glad I kept a journal of sorts of my work in a photographic scrapbook if you will. I find myself thinking " I did that?!?!" and then I think "I did that!!"

Cooking has always been a passion of mine and I love seeing the looks of satisfaction on the faces of my family, friends, customers, and residents when I serve them a dish that is well prepared, presented well, and is delicious. I have even kept a photo journal of my more memorable dishes and enjoy looking back on my culinary accomplishments.

The difference is that while cooking is a passion, flooring is in my blood as it were, a part of me, and I miss it. If things were different I would still be on my knees both installing and sharing what I have learned and experienced. Who knows, 57 is still young this day and age, given the opportunity I may still have time to share . If not, when I am cut I may not bleed floors but I will patch myself up with seam sealer and welding rod and keep on cooking and looking at the floor.

Thanks for providing a soapbox for me to share some of my feelings and sentiments and maybe a few you may share as well.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Thank you for the call earlier and glad to see the post.

Keep on keeping on...... be it cooking or flooring!:yesss:

3. UncleCliffie

UncleCliffie Charter Member

I know the feeling: I sold cars prior to getting into this trade. It took a long time for me to get that fever cured. For a lot of years, I would break out in a cold sweat and the shakes when it was model year change and the latest new cars were shown. But, I finally got over it.
    Dick

4. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Glad your still kicking. Time does fly the older we get. Don't be a stranger, say something once it a while.

5. Jon Scanlan

Jon Scanlan That Kiwi Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Its good to hear from you Barry
    4 years?????
    Doesn't seem that long

6. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Hey Barry, getting out of military I was thinking about being a nutritionist, probably would have ended up at working assisted living. Did a lot of flooring work and repairs at them, not a very pleasant place to be. The medical field/assisted living is a rough living, the pay is horrible for them(home health care as well. Most flooring I see gets slapped in in order to make a decent check.

Cool reflection, thanks for sharing.

Uncle Cliffie what new cars did you sell, why were you nervous?

7. UncleCliffie

UncleCliffie Charter Member

I sold Fords, and I surely missed the excitement of new car showing back in the 60's, 70's and 80's! Back when there were really significant changes as the new models were revealed. I probably sold the first Mustang in Iowa, and perhaps the country. I had the signed order within 10 minutes of the unveiling of the car.
    Dick

8. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I just stopped at Ford/Lincoln(no more mercury) to see how our work looks years later, and vehicle browsing.

DESIRE - is the word I shall use. Who designs products that people want? Far as I see only the last year or two the rear design of the Mustangs became appealing. They use to sell themselves back in the day.

All the stuff in the world can sit on a shelf if no one says, I want that on my floor!

The Lincolns look nice this year, only I don't need to ride in luxury every day, maybe once or twice a year. And there was a nice Richard Petty Mustang 2017, 627 horsepower.

Attached Files:

9. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

Very happy to hear from you Barry.

10. Steve Olson

Steve Olson Hardwood/Laminate Guru Charter Member Senior Member

Hey Barry, funny, I just mentioned you by name, in a post the other day. And here you are!

11. Barry Carlton

Barry Carlton I Support TFP Senior Member Published

Aaaannndddd....I'm back doing floors. Go figure. I got a gig doing monkey work in new homes after my morning cooking shift. New construction, installing immediately after painters and before cabinets. Mannington junk. But back on the knees.
    Funny, it really is like riding a bike, no thought involved.

I still have my occasional custom jobs...Marmo, laminate, composites, etc.

• Like Like x 4
  12. Chris Mha

Chris Mha Charter Member Senior Member

Welcome back Barry

• Like Like x 1
  13. Jon Scanlan

Jon Scanlan That Kiwi Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

But Barry you will find you ache for awhile :)

• Like Like x 2
  14. Chris Mha

Chris Mha Charter Member Senior Member

For a while? I do it everyday and I ache everyday

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Roland Thompson

Roland Thompson Charter Member Senior Member

Welcome back. Give me a call sometime