I'm stuck, having trouble making a decision

Discussion in 'Carpet Q&A' started by UnsureCarpet, Jun 11, 2015.

1. UnsureCarpet

UnsureCarpet New Member

Hey guys,

I've been carpet shopping for over a month and a half, and just don't know what to do here. Originally I went with a big box store to do a quote for me, their price came in pretty high, so I started shopping around. I found a couple smaller businesses that order carpet in that are well rated locally, but the savings are minimal. Okay, so on to my dilemma.

Originally I was dead set on Mohawk carpet, the SmartStrand Ultra due to all the marketing hype, especially because they seemed to claim having excellent durability, resistance to wear, warranty, and 100% stain resistance. I have a small dog that is getting older and has become very unreliable about peeing outside, so I'm expecting to run into a lot of pee mistakes. I've heard though from many sources that SmartStrand doesn't actually hold up better than nylon 6,6 / Anso when it comes to traffic wear patterns. I've also heard that carpet warranties are a nightmare to get claims approved on.

So I've begun looking at Nylon instead, there are three brands I'm checking out. I can tell you that one of the most important things to me is making sure that I can extract urine / urine smells even if it sits for a day or two, and that it doesn't saturate the pad. I'm going to get upgraded pads with a stainguard layer, I'm told that will help a lot. So far I'm considering -

1. Stainmaster PetProtect Nylon 6,6 with a decent weight / height
    2. Bliss w/their anti-scent technology but it's a shorter / more dense pile
    3. Shaw Anso with the upgraded backing

The carpet guy was trying to steer me in the direction of either Stainmaster or Bliss, and he said if it was his choice he'd choose Bliss. The Bliss is not Nylon 6,6 though as far as I know, but it does have a scent neutralizer (I'm not sure how long it lasts). Either way all the carpet brands I'm looking at are being priced at ~$37 sq/y, and we're getting nearly 350 sq yards. Should I expect to have more haggling power when buying so much carpet at once?

Can you guys let me know your thoughts? I have to make a decision today/tomorrow, I really can't drag it on any longer as I have to coordinate with a move. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

2. Hanover Fist

Hanover Fist Pro Member

Generally, I would go with the nylon product.
    Having said this, there is no such thing as pet proof carpet - even a full plastic faux grass will retain liquids in spots that can't be easily scrubbed out.
    And the odor blocking thing is good for about a year, you will wear/vacuum/scrub most of it out by then.
    If you really have to have carpet, and you know that your dog is growing incontinent, then spend on pad and save on carpet.
    By that I mean; get a moisture-barrier pad, one that is taped at the seams (and maybe perimeter) and then buy a carpet that you are ok with tossing out in a few years.
    There is just no fabric product that will last more than 5 years with medium to heavy urine inundation - so once you have your head around that, get the carpet that you like the look and feel of.
    That's where your payoff is, really, anyway.

3. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

There's a carpet that keeps liquids on the surface, not sure which one it is or availability, we've talked about it here a couple times, Roland would know.

No isolating the dog to rooms not carpeted?

Friends of ours moved out of rental with dogs and cats, I was there before and after cleaning/deodorizing by independent carpet cleaner, smelled pretty good, clean regularly( maybe 1 year intervals)

You may end up replacing sections down the road, it's a little painful knowing what your spending now only to dump it 6-8 years later.

Develop a relationship with the retailer, not the box, there you will get good advice and long term support.

4. Floor Boss

Floor Boss Flooring Professional and Mgr. I Support TFP

5. whatiscarpet

whatiscarpet Pro Member

I do not know anything about the waterproof carpetthat was posted. The best option for you is to go with nylon. Nylon is hydrophilic and will soak up liquids that spill. This ill cause it to stain a little more easily, but it will help prevent urine from soaking through the backing and into the padding. PET and PTT are both hydrophobic and will not absorb liquid. This means that any urine that gets on the carpet will not be soaked into the fiber and will get into the padding. It is impossible to get urine out of padding without replacing the padding.

With all that said, in your situation I would go with a nice 40-60 oz PET. As said previously, You are going to have to replace the carpet in 6-8 years anyway, so you might as well go with a high face weight that feels nice.

6. Floored by Newman

Floored by Newman Floored by Newman

H20 is great! Best constructed carpet I have seen in years :D Well wool still is... but...

7. UnsureCarpet

UnsureCarpet New Member

Hey guys, thanks for all the info it was helpful when making my purchase. It was way too late to look into the H2O carpet, only CarpetOne carries it and by the time there were replies to read I was an hour away from needing to lock in in order to sync up with other stuff (painters, movers).

I came pretty close to going with the Stainmaster but went with the bliss instead. The Bliss carpet is a little bit of a shorter pile, but has a heavier weight to it, the fibers are really tight up against each other and are softer overall. I was told I could expect probably a year or so of reliable scent neutralization, which is fine, that's not the main reason I got it. I do wish it was Nylon 6,6 as I hear that's better, but he said both are good. I also went with the highest end pad he carried, an 8lb memory foam one with a moisture guard.

He's pretty confident that I'll be happy with the purchase, and he says he doesn't carry / sell anything that is sub-par. I do wish there was a little more flexibility on the price, I was hoping he'd at least match Home Depot's 10% off any competitor pricing but he was really firm saying that the pricing was the best he could do. The price for everything (carpet, pad, installation, two stairways, and hauling away) came out to $37 sq/y. I asked for an itemized receipt that broke down the true costs of everything but he said he normally doesn't do that.

Thanks for the help though, I'll let you guys know what I think when I'm all moved in.