I'm Out Of The Biz

Discussion in 'Taking a Break From Flooring' started by Mark Brown, Mar 9, 2019.

1. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

Well lads and ladies,

You may have noticed i have not been around much these days. That fact is due in no small part to my complete disinterest in this trade of late. I have given 17 years of my life in complete dedication to the floor covering industry, in that small (by comparison) amount of time i have learned a lot, seen even more and provided a decent living to my family. That being said, i am getting out. It has been a pleasure serving with all of you for the short amount of time I have been here. This trade doesn't even need me with the likes of all of you to carry on any how!! Happy to be headed out the door, wish you all the best and oh yeah, thanks for all the fish

Mark Brown

2. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

What are you doing next? Going to miss you here

3. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Yeah I was wondering what you were up to. Smart Man is all I can say. No problem coming back even smarter. Your body will thank you as well.

4. kylenelson

I’m guessing the mortgage payoff has something to do with this?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

Yeah man, Mortgage is all gone and I am going to go driver Deliveries. Guaranteed base salary was attractive and i can leave all the headaches behind. Cannot see having too many headaches with that affair :)
    Last year in flooring almost killed me, it gets to be too much and i never learned how to take it easy. This way I legally cannot work more than 14 hours a day and all weekends off, that right there is worth its weight in gold. I figure after some time away ill be back trollin here for the fun i use to have for the trade

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Good luck in your new endeavor. Come back and enlighten us on how you are doing. You could even still chip in on the flooring problems.

:old:

Daris

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Jon Scanlan

Jon Scanlan That Kiwi Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Mark I can understand your feelings
    I am finding it harder each day to actually lay some vinyl in a house, will not do new commercial, as all the health and safety stuff which is getting well over the top here especially as the building is finished when we get there but they still want you wearing the hard hats, steel toe boots, high vis gear etc etc

8. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

I truly hope so. None of us here have all the answers and often enough, opinions is all we got. As you know, there are lots of opinions that have great value here, yours included. I'm hoping you will share whatever you can as often as you can. You're part of the family - TFP's in your blood now.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

I was all set to switch careers as soon as my house was paid off. I was even going to ‘take some time off’ too. Maybe a break is just what the doctor ordered. I wish you the best in whatever you decide to do.

10. kylenelson

Good luck in your new career, I have a hard time believing you’ll regret it! I think an office type job might be too jarring for a flooring installer, deliveries at least keep you active and seeing new places

11. Dan Schultz

Dan Schultz Certified Wood Floor Inspector Charter Member

What kind of deliveries?

12. Mike Antonetti

Yeah, I been thinking about some deliveries to boost the income. Anything illegal that pays well.

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. Roland Thompson

Roland Thompson Charter Member Senior Member

Sorry to see you leave the trade. Best of luck moving on to a new chapter of your life. Stop in and say hi now and then.

14. Barry Carlton

Barry Carlton I Support TFP Senior Member Published

Well, I didn't think I'd ever be back. But taking those 4 or so years mostly off was the best thing for me. Back to loving the job again.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Mike Sliwinski

Mike Sliwinski The Doctor Is In I Support TFP Senior Member

Mark !! :bow: :bow: :bow: Nice move ! Great Job providing for the family and satisfying all those customers :inspect:in the floor covering business. Throw a Party for paying off the Mortgage ! :yesss:

Safe Delivering my friend and remember, put TFP on your route,
    delivering often your Sense of Humor :D

Mike

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. JayP

JayP Pro Member

Congratulations on getting out and good luck with your new job. With any luck you’ll still be able to walk normally in 20 years

• Like Like x 1
  17. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

While i respect the decisions that each of us make it still saddens me to see a dedicated young man walk away from a trade where he has put in 17 years. Just curious Mark, could adjustments have been made to give you a little more satisfaction in your career? Could you have slowed down a bit and enjoyed it more?
    For most of us we have evolved in the trade from carpet layer to something more....In my case, i have been around just about all phases.
    1. Early on I was a Union installer
    2. Moved out of the city and was a salaried employee/installer for 5 years.
    3. Went to a contract installer servicing several stores and a number of General Contractors. Eventually having three crews. During this time i even started a Carpet Cleaning Division of my company.
    4. Lost my focus and tried to get out. Went into sales with Orkin Pest Control.
    5. After six months went back to contracting, got set up with a Major Builder and was there for 17 years.
    6. Career ending foot/leg injury, threw me into inspecting and where I am today.
    I think the thing that always drew me back was the satisfaction of being able to step back at the end of the day and say "Yep, I did that and it looks good! A sense of pride and satisfaction, not just about the $$$"
    I hope you can find happiness in your new endeavor, come visit with us and let us know how you are doing. Oh, DO NOT sell your tools, you'll be back!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Mike Antonetti

I’d write the next chapter a bit differently. There’s going to be twists and turns.

Delivery gets you everywhere. I’m sure with your Keen awareness it will propel you forward into new opportunities.

19. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

Here's MY take. The trade has gone downhill for the 40+ years I've been involved-------in many aspects. Mostly I've been a union installer but I also worked many years nonunion, independant contractor with and without employees, warehouseman, truck driver, deliveries............crazy as it sounds sometimes we have to be ALL OF THOSE AT THE SAME TIME.

The pay is woefully inadequate and the working conditions are HORRIBLE and in a steady state of decline.

GET OUT NOW WHILE YOU HAVE THE CHANCE

............but only if you have FOR SURE that better opportunity lined up. As much as this racket sucks and is getting worse rapidly it's still better than a lot of other rackets because at least there's SOME money involved.

Good luck Mark.

20. Steve Olson

Steve Olson Hardwood/Laminate Guru Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Sorry to lose your input here, but I get it. Hope the new career path takes you where you want to go, but if not, you have a solid skill set to fall back on. I love installing, but I can't say that I've ever been happy with the income. I wish you well...