I'm a little late to the party

Discussion in 'Ceramic & Stone Sales and Installations' started by Mark Brown, Mar 28, 2018.

1. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

premium-notched-trowel.png So this is probably old news to everyone but me but for the last couple of months I have been addicted to Custom's "premium" notch trowel. Fabulous coverage, excellent adhesion, good knock down and for most part the best thing to come along since sliced bread and the gramophone. I have been using them for large format, 12x12, wall tile (the smaller size) and cannot seem to find a down side.

Wondering if anyone else has any feedback on them??

2. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

They were designed for large format and easier collapse of the ridges. I was looking for those years ago when they first came out. My town has always been 10 to forever behind the times. Superior has always made good tile tools.

So trowel lines were supposed to be combed parallel with the rocking direction to work the tile into the mortar and expel air.

I probably would be using some new Ardex mortar designed for large format, easy trowel, non sagging, adjustable type.

I’d prefer installers not use double sided mortar, only the kind that sticks to tile and releases from slab, you know the kind that installers say is defective cause it only stuck to one side.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

that defective one sided mortar, gets you every time. Funny, I don't know how you do it but we pretty much base the price of tile removal on the tile being installed poorly... those rare times it isn't boy oh boy do you have to work for it

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Mike Antonetti

I was reading today, I think it was NTCA newsletter about coverage not being 80% recommended and the writer was an installer that understood not all installs fail due to coverage. What I see here is a lot of expansion and no soft joints and no crack suppression. All of this talk about what vinyl plank will last longer when a tile install should last a very long time, or their decor has changed. It still could be ripped up in the same timeframe.

5. Hanover Fist

Hanover Fist Pro Member

Wow this might me the truest and most measurable guide for how not to F-up a tile job: rock the tile into thinset parallel to the trowel lines. Pushes air out and guarantees lack of hollow spots and full adhesion. Why is THIS not part of required education?

Also, yeah, T/U of properly installed tile is like breaking rocks with your teeth - you count on bad work, and cry when you find good work!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Mike Antonetti

I’m Leary about tomorrow’s ripup, last one we did for this remodeler it was welded to slab. Job the other day tile was popped up in a rental, problem was the thinset was 1/2” square trowel which also holds up tile.

Joe Tarver (NTCA President 90’s?)years ago came up with the method. Now the plank tile it’s combed to the short side. I think the mortar may sit too long on the overage. That’s where the slab may need dampening with sponge to avoid it being robbed from mortar.

• Like Like x 1
  7. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

That's the down side of your demo job Mike. Although if you charge enough for hard pullups its not really a down side, just another job.

8. Mike Antonetti

Wear and tear on my body is a downside, somehow I can’t figure out why my hip joint area kills me the next few days. Could be my racatac cart and the ergonomics of it.

I like to pre visit jobs to give an accurate assessment, experience tells me some things, investigating tells me others. Like cracked tile, well I won’t get into all my secrets but I try to charge accordingly. Lots of variables, man I’m holding back.

9. Kman

Kman Tile Expert I Support TFP Senior Member Published

I've got one I've used a couple of times. There's no doubt that you get good coverage with it. The downside is that I seem to get an excessive amount of mortar squeezing up through the joints. Makes for a lot more cleanup.

I've got a shower coming up next week where I'm setting some 24x48 tiles on the wall, as well as the (gulp) ceiling. Gonna bring out that euro-notch trowel and dust it off to use for those monsters.