IICRC BSR S600 & S800 Standards Available for Public Review

Discussion in 'Industry News, Training & Organizations' started by Jim McClain, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Jim McClain

Jim McClain TFP Owner/Founder Administrator

iicrc-logo.gif IICRC works with industry partners to develop new standards for the cleaning, restoration and inspection industries

The Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) announces that the BSR-IICRC S600 Standard and Reference Guide for Professional Carpet Installation and the BSR-IICRC S800 Standard and Reference Guide for Inspecting Textile Floor Coverings are now available for public review and comment.

BSR-IICRC S600 Standard and Reference Guide for Professional Carpet Installation covers both residential and commercial carpet installations. This industry consensus document gives specific guidance for the proper, recommended procedures for installing various carpet products in different types of installations.

BSR-IICRC S800 Standard and Reference Guide for Inspecting Textile Floor Coverings focuses on the inspection of textile floor coverings, including carpet and rugs. This document establishes a procedural standard and reference guide for a professional inspection of textile floor coverings.

“The development of these new standards with our industry partners represents the IICRC’s commitment to provide the most relevant and consistent information to our registrants, Certified Firms and continually changing industry,” said Mili Washington, IICRC standards director.

IICRC is developing the BSR-IICRC S600 and BSR-IICRC S800 as ANSI Standards. BSR is the ANSI Board of Standards Review that reviews and approves Standards as American National Standards.

BSR-IICRC S600 and BSR-IICRC S800 draft standards are available from Jan. 25 to March 11, 2013 for review and comment as part of the 45-day public review period. To review or comment, contact Mili Washington, IICRC standards director at mili@iicrc.org for a copy of the Standard(s) and comment form. All comments must be submitted no later than March 11, 2013.

For more information on other certification programs and standards offered by IICRC, visit www.iicrc.org. To purchase a copy of the IICRC standards, please call the IICRC headquarters at (360) 693-5675.

About the IICRC
    The IICRC is an international, ANSI-accredited standard-development organization (SDO) that certifies individuals in 20+ categories within the inspection, cleaning and restoration industries. Representing more than 54,000 certified technicians in 22 countries, the IICRC, in partnership with regional and international trade associations, represents the entire industry. The IICRC does not own schools, employ instructors, produce training materials, or promote specific product brands, cleaning methods or systems. To know if a technician has received proper education and training, consumers should look for the cleantrust patch and logo, the service mark of the IICRC. For more information, visit www.iicrc.org.

2. Isabella Flooring

Isabella Flooring Pro Member

I would encourage all INSPECTORS to read and participate in this public review,
    Some big changes in installation and Inspection of floor covering, After public veiw and passes it will then go for an ANSI spec....

3. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

And I would encourage the IICRC to make the Standards PUBLICLY available, if they are truley wanting feedback!

I have gone to their website and they are NOT available!!

I have e-mailed them..........no response!

I have followed the link that was provided to Mili@iicrc.org........NADA!

I followed Isabella's link and.......ZIP!!

Bottom line is that this shows me that they do not care about installers, inspectors, or consumers.......as usual only lining their own pockets at the expense of others! If anyone feels I am wrong, please SHOW me by getting me a copy of the Standards so that I may review them. Otherwise IICRC please go back to cleaning carpet!!!

The above is my personal opinion and should not reflect in any way on TheFloorPro.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2013
  4. Isabella Flooring

I would send you a copy of mine but it is a committee copy, and by the rule and laws I signed I cannot forward it....miry will help you...she is a busy lady....

5. Jim McClain

I asked Mili for copies during a phone call. I sent her an email last night to remind her. I haven't received any yet, but it's the weekend, so I'll try to be patient until maybe Tuesday.

Jim

6. Jon Scanlan

Jon Scanlan That Kiwi Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I would hope that there are enough old time "flooring" people like Daris keeping an eye on this on behalf of the layers so that the practical side of the laying standards are kept instead of the theory side being forced onto the layers

7. Jim McClain

I just received copies of the proposed S600 & S800 Standards and the comment submission form from Mili. :thumbsup:

8. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Is it possible to post a copy?

Daris

9. Jim McClain

No, sorry. The rules I agreed to prevent us from posting any text quoted from the documents. I did not agree we wouldn't discuss the documents or any of the information, we just can't quote any of the text. In other words, change the wording, if you want to discuss any particular segment of the documents. In fact, there is enough there that we could have a whole bunch of separate topics to discuss specific issues within the standards.

Posts in the private, Pros-only carpet forum or inspectors forum will not be scrutinized as much as posts in a public forum, like this one.

If you want a copy of either document, request it by sending an email to Mili@iicrc.org

Jim

10. Isabella Flooring

I would encourage all to look read and think if theirs a need for an ANSI spec...

11. Elmer Fudd

So it is NOT publicly available, nor do they want it widely available! I personally find this to be a strange thing, if you want to hold THOUSANDS of installers to a set of standards......FOR CRIPES SAKE MAKE IT AVAILABLE TO THEM!!

I guess you must be special!!;)

Already done last week with NO...ZIP....NADA response! Oh I forgot she is busy..................................

I take it you were on the committee, yet this comment hints at perhaps you are not convinced there is a need?

12. RFI

RFI Mr. Nefarious Senior Member

well EF................You sound a bit pissy tonight :poke:

Just seeing if I can push you over the edge and make you down right mad :mad:

13. Isabella Flooring

Here is my honest opinion...you get an ANSI spec. That states that carpet must acclimate in home for 24 hours, let me tell you, Theirs not one company that acclimates carpet in a occupied house here on the west coast, reason being, theirs not 1 company that's gonna jeopardize their liability insurence for a trip and fall injury bottom line....and if its Ansi spec and not done, no claim will be warranted violation of ANSI mill will state..

Also, I believe the r800 refers to some s600, when 600 hasn't even passed public review..

Hint carrot in front of the horse saying, that's my honest opinion

14. Curt Durand

Curt Durand Resting In Peace Charter Member I Support TFP Published

Printed out the 2 .pdf files I was sent. What a mess. My printer ran and ran, toner ran out and I went through 2 reams of paper plus some extra. Got duplicate copies of one installation standard almost 200 pages long, another printing of this that was 60 pages short, a inspection standard that had an installation standard title page and finally a 202 page inspector draft standard. What the hxll!

15. Elmer Fudd

Gotine and it is so big I cannot get it to download!!!

16. Isabella Flooring

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  17. Ok put this into English for me , I used to go by 104 and 105 standards and heard of this new s-600 thing. I took a cleaning course way back and then saw how much it was yearly to renew. Now they are setting installation standards? They took over CRI ? I would like to read this soon.

18. What does BSR stand for? Also this is headlined wrong with #'s & letters. It should say " Installation Standards up for public review prior to implementation, Inspection Standards up for public review prior to implementation.

19. brett chaltry

brett chaltry Pro Member

Ansi board of standards review

20. Jim McClain

Is it better now? I just copied and pasted the press release headline. I should have looked closer.