If there is a hardwood class, skip this lesson

Discussion in 'Hardwood & Laminate Sales and Installations' started by Demonseed, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Demonseed

Demonseed Pro Member

Methinks, not the standard install method

Attached Files:

• 016.jpg
      016.jpg
      File size:
      176.5 KB
      Views:
    • 011.jpg
      011.jpg
      File size:
      140.6 KB
      Views:
    • 009.jpg
      009.jpg
      File size:
      130.4 KB
      Views:
  2. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

:ohno: Somebody must like metal.

Daris

3. Taurus Flooring

Taurus Flooring Over 30yrs Experience

Considering how much nosing costs, I almost don't blame him. :ohno:

4. nimrod

nimrod Pro Member

I agree with that!! Although this job for sure has DIY written all over it.....

5. Demonseed

Demonseed Pro Member

All I can figure is, someone hired a Handyman/GC or something, the house otherwise is huge maybe 5k/sf and aside from that set of stairs and another transition in the basement (those stairs lead to the finished basement), everything else is reasonably well done(house is currently a rental). The reason I took pictures, I had to install a room of carpet there (only room in the house with carpet, rest is ceramic and hardwood), and they asked me to measure all of the existing wood areas (owner wants a quote to sand and refinish). I could have tried to explain that set of stairs for an hour, and no one would have gotten what I was saying.

6. stullis

stullis Charter Member Senior Member

A simple picture and you could also be redoing all the stairs. ;)

7. bradford

bradford Pro Member

Wow, I'm speechless. Never seen that before. I'm hoping it was the cost of the stairnoses or atleast that's what they need to tell any guests. Maybe they just thought the gold looked rich, hehe.

8. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

It's not just that ugly-ass metal nosing, but all them cove trims around the risers and treads. It would take at least a couple hours PER STEP to sand and refinish that mess. :(

9. R.K

R.K Pro Member

he took the time to line up those nail holes at least.

I saw a handy man cutting VCT clamped to a saw horse with a jig saw once. Looks like he does stairs too....

10. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

I think Nate Meadows could fix those stairs--------

not cheap

not quick

but you REALLY don't have to tear it all out and start from scratch

Oh, and are you busy this weekend?

plenty of room here for compromise

I'm thinking CUSTOM nosings and CUSTOM extra wide stringers.......no doubt there's going to be some putty and paint to make a carpenter what he ain't

but it would be a shame to trash that work

Nate, your cell phone, home phone and business phone please?

11. I think I just threw up in my mouth. My uncle who owns a store would stick 1 1/2inch ugly gold ot metals everywhere just to get stuff done. Almost every place I go to first discussion is getting rid of gold metals.

I personally like using satin nickle pin metals for carpet if it matches the hardware or aged bronze but depending on carpet they don't stand out very much at all.

My rule of thumb I try and avoid using metals of any sort on all my jobs. Metals have a function and that is 2-300 pounds of scrap i bring into the recycling yard each year hehe.