I joined local Builders Association

Discussion in 'Industry News, Training & Organizations' started by Mike Antonetti, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

To create awareness of my services was the reason, network, let contractors know that we are the ones to remove stuck flooring. Many other reasons, 360$ a year. They are non profit, also give referrals should someone call them to ask for contractors, I had zero idea they did this. So I get a call today about two weeks after joining. Caller says referred by the BA, not sure whether I would take on job, I called back for some details, so he wants stone removed from fireplace and chimney, ok I can do that. So at end of conversation I say send me a pic. After receiving I referred him to a stucco guy my wife's friends husband does. I got rid of scaffold few years ago, he's got manpower, I do not.

Reason for removal, leaking and termite damage.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Our local Commercial BCA here does a really good job. They do a pretty good amount of work promoting education between the trades on issues like moisture in concrete slabs and such. I've participated several times and always come away feeling like we were able to do it in an non-adversarial way. It's helped stop that conversation where the GC says they've never heard of concrete moisture issues before" quite a bit. If they do play that card, I usually say "Oh the BCA did a great full day seminar on that for the last 5 years, you might want to contact them to make sure you get to the next one" Then it's not "The Flooring Contractor" telling the GC it's their own association telling them. Sounds simple, but it really does help.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Ed

Ed Charter Member

You should now be granted access to a list of members and their mailing addresses and or fax numbers. You could do a targeted mailer . Great way to get the most bang for the buck. Some CPA's will actually handle this for you

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mike Antonetti

Did the Home and Garden show that the Builders Association put on. It was at the Armory, decent size, not a huge crowd but good enough for our size operation.

A high end kitchen and bath remodeler came up and got some bus. cards, and gave me some. Not sure how to track except for the info taken.

So for 200$ for the booth it was money well spent. The booth to my left was a realtor, 77 yo lady who was a mathematician electrical engineer for AT&T, talked to her,she talked mostly to me for large portion of the show, and to my right was a hound dog, 3 ladies and some empty bottles with a cloth. Purpose- rub the cloth on your skin and put into empty container and store on fridge. A child or an old person with dementia this company comes to the home, the dog smells the scent in jar and searches out the person. In my town a lady with dementia disappeared about 4 months ago, they still haven’t found her, it was a grandmother that their kids were in our grade, very sad, but hopefully others learn.

Here’s my first booth, oh yeah the banner was 75$ and I wanted to bring way more equipment, my spot was a little tight.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

Nice way to really get word of your services out there. Cookies, coffee and free terminator rides? Have you seen any bump in business because of the hurricanes?

6. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

Looking good Buddy!!
    Sure beats my 17 dollar an hour guy with an eddy LOL!

... tell you what, Don't hit me too hard for travel and i will sub it all out to you. I mean really, Canada is only 2 states away. I cannot be blamed for yours being so big.

7. Mike Antonetti

I’ve done a few rip outs from Hurricane, mostly because Home was damaged but tile was dated so that was the motivating factor.

Canadians actually own more property here than I realized. Figured you’d be down here already Mark. I guess retired come down but workers stay in place? Even my concealed course instructor was a Canadian. I don’t get the layout of your country, can never remember where any major city is. I think of the land divided by our time zones vertically but horizontally we have Hot, Medium,cold and I think up there it’s just cold. Not that I don’t appreciate you sending it down sometimes.

The association name/word is changing to alliance. I asked the person running it why, she says that other type of businesses do not feel that they should become members due to name feeling like group of builders. I’m asking them for all sorts of references across the board. The sign guy we’ve used for years hired a guy that did my banner, he did all the printing table type work before sign guy hired him, he was at show, thanked him for the good work and was sending more business his way, my embroidered logo on my shirts were not ready, the person who was supposed to digitize it for the sewing machine didn’t have it ready, supposedly.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
  8. Jon Scanlan

Jon Scanlan That Kiwi Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Mike have you been to Canada?
    Well worth the visit with your machines if you get the chance, working holiday :)
    We have done the Rocky Mountain Train from Vancouver to Banff . We went to Vancouver Island for the day on a tour. I have an uncle who lives there but didn't get to see him. A couple of years later we flew into Toronto and caught a coach down to Niagara Falls then up to Quebec for about a week then caught a cruise ship down to Boston. They have some real neat Fairmont Hotels in Canada like old castles, stayed in a few of them
    Canada is pretty good, a bit like New Zealand but NZ is tiny compared to Canada

• Like Like x 1
  9. Mike Antonetti

Just to Nova Scotia (Halifax) Jon about 30 years ago in Navy. Gotta plead ignorant on the rest of the country. Niagara is a motivation but can see it in the states. Not sure what else would be a gotta see.

10. Jon Scanlan

Jon Scanlan That Kiwi Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Mike we got to Halifax on that cruise from Quebec to Boston The trees were just starting to turn orange and it would be a real nice sight when the trees had changed colour
    Here is a reason to visit Canada
    Banff Luxury Hotel Photo Gallery Tour - Fairmont Banff Springs
    Also have a look at the Quebec Fairmont as that hotel is neat
    Bet the Navy never put you up in places like this eh? :D
    Come on Mark help me out to sell your country :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

Our beer is good!!
    In fact I'm in Halifax right now, visiting family away from work for a bit. It isn't as nice in the winter to be certain but man I miss this place. It really is a wonderful county. Thinking about taking the train back, if I do, those pictures will sell it all.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Mike Antonetti

Back in 1990 there were a few microbreweries in town. Very good beer,