How would you do this?

Discussion in 'Carpet Sales and Installations' started by Daris Mulkin, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

A friend called me this morning and wanted me to give him some hints on handling used carpet from a 80' x120' area and put it back into the same sized room built to those specs so they could reuse $30,000 worth of carpet. Carpet is 6 years old.
    Now there is a downside to this. It is carpet that is from an arena where dog shows were held and will be going back into the new arena. So I'm sure the is pee all over the place.
    He wanted to take the seams apart and remake them. But according to him you can't lose a yarn because there is no recutting it.
    I told him I wouldn't take the seams apart that I would make new ones.
    So what is your thought on this besides run like I also told him. All he can see is the dollar signs.

:old:

Daris

2. JonH

JonH TFP Sponsor

Run like a greyhound. I would think you would need a little extra and it sounds like there is none and it won't look good. I don't know that but pretty sure.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

Not to mention your cut edges that you can’t lose a single yarn on getting bunged up during transport.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

Do yourself up a sexy 20 inch perimeter border. Presuming 7 seams in the width that gives a good 5 inches a seam and 2 inches to get the border right. Do it in the length and the width and make it stylish. Might not be my first choice but for 30000 worth of rug u could learn to live with it. Stress all gone.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

If you're not confident you could peel back the goods, melt the heat tape off from the back and move the carpet without damaging the seam edges then I can only think of adding a border as mentioned above------hard to say exactly what size it has to be, or what kind of material/pattern/color. But if the goal is to "save" $30K they have to make realistic concessions.

BTW, I agree that there's no feasible way to salvage 100% of the material. In fact, I would be hard pressed not to mention the word PREPOSTEROUS if the customer gave me any grief about my (our) opinion that you need to cut out the seam areas, discard that material and re-make the seams beyond where the old heat tape was.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Mark Brown

that and how in the sweet name of merciful crap do you mover 9600 sqft of carpet all at once in a giant roll?

7. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

Pretty sure even customer understands the carpet needs to be CUT where the existing seams are and move the material as we normally handle 12' goods-----assuming that's what is there.

What seems to be the misconception is that this can be done using 100 percent of the old material. That just ain't gonna happen. They found the best carpet guy around and if he says no, the answer is no.

Get creative and go buy some border material. It's bad enough dealing with dog piss stained carpet. Don't ask for any more miracles beyond that.

8. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor Senior Member

Easy. Number each cut and mark direction, cut new seams, roll and move and seam in place

• Like Like x 1
  9. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Is it carpet or turf? I could see it getting moved in one piece with enough furniture movers and a truck. It would take a few to set it where it goes too. Tube it the long way and fold it.

10. JonH

JonH TFP Sponsor

Sounds like $30000 in labor ha ha.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. JonH

JonH TFP Sponsor

Cut the seems, move the carpet, lay it out, cut new seems getting rid of the old, use a 6 ft border so it doesn't look stupid and charge accordingly. The difficulty is that cutting the carpet dulls the blades fast because of sand and dirt, The pile is kind of matted down so its hard to get the rows found and then it is more scewed and bowed than it was when it was new. It is twice as hard or more to do used carpet and it looks half as good or less.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Mark Brown

If i get roped into installing used carpet one more time, i will scream. Its always the same song and dance... ya ya ya we have lots, no problem. Sure it is always lots of carpet but it never ever fits into that hole. Oh yeah, those duct holes, we can just fill them right? Just did one for one of our sales staff... somehow we managed to get 6 seams in a 12' x 15' 6" room. What you mean 12' cross seams are bad, pfft. To be fair, when it was all done it was good and saved a lot of rug from the dumpster. Claim carpet so at least it was newish.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Floor Boss

Floor Boss Flooring Professional and Mgr. I Support TFP

"I love the smell of Napalm in the morning"
    OR
    The smell of burnt dog urine and hot melt seam tape! (ya'll know that smell from crappy patch requests or seaming to existing rooms)!
    Run, Sprint, Dash!
    Unless you can get $30K as suggested above!

David

14. Mike Sliwinski

Mike Sliwinski The Doctor Is In Senior Member

sub it out to Kyle ;)

120' x 80' space should probably be glued down, got any pictures and more
    details, like current method of install. Something tells me it's hot seamed and
    loose lay w/ no padding.

Maybe split it into 4ea. 30' x 80' pieces, flop roll it the 80' way, so as not to bend / crease @ the existing 2 ea. length seams. ( I would leave the existing seams as they are ) Get 8 to 10 able body movers, spaced apart @
    8' intervals to re-locate the 'Snake Carpet' into the new arena, seal the new seams, burn them and collect 4,000.00 to 5,000 (Loose Lay method, no guarantee) probably a three day job, using 9 other people for a few hours or so.....Plus remember 1,000 for Kyle's travel expense :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Who was the guy that rolled carpet in a doughnut? Couple years ago.

Dough, I meant Cinnamon Roll.

16. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Wasn't he from Florida?

17. Mark Brown

This I have done. It was hilarious.
    Working with Durkan's foam back. We were doing panel shots for hallways. 6 foot something material at 100 ish feet long. Kick it out in the parking lot... tube that bad boy and start rollin'. 4 guys pushed that monster up to the second floor of a hotel and away we went. If memory serves me it was something around 6 feet tall.

Silly silly floor layers

18. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

It was Travis Brown @Travis brown out of Myrtle Beach, "handling large carpet rolls" was the topic. Not sure how to bring the thread here, but wonder where that guy is at. Was thinking of home the other day but forgot his name. Also another guy out of Pennsylvania that posted a bit then stopped.

19. Z-Carpet

Z-Carpet Pro Member

saving him 30,000 if u do it tell him u want 15,000 , so he can save 15,000 cuz its better than nothing right

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

You don't know how to post a link? :hmmm: Handling Large Carpet Rolls