How will Net Neutrality repeal affect TFP?

Discussion in 'TFP Support and Feedback' started by Mike Antonetti, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

So, no discussion about politics yet the new ruling was passed. What will occur, what differences will there be?

2. Commercial Floor Rep

Commercial Floor Rep I Support TFP Published

Jim can probably speak more intelligently to this, but probably not a significant difference with regard to TFP. Net neutrality has the potential to effect data transfer speed so you would see it in more transfer intense processes like streaming a movie from Netflix or watching high def youtube videos. Depending on the ISP carriers and what type of service you have these types of heavy data streaming applications or uses could be effected. It will be interesting to see the outcome because neither side knows with certainty what the outcome will be.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. SteveG

SteveG Pro Member

It's entirely possible that a forum could fall under 'social media' and owners of forums could be asked to pay if they want their traffic to make it to end users in a timely manner.

Then they're told that the terms of their hosting service prohibit them discussing such agreements under an NDA.

Literally all manner of extortion is possible. Will it happen today? No. Will it happen while we're all still upset about it? No. Wait a news cycle or two and watch it seep in silently.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  4. Hanover Fist

Hanover Fist Pro Member

Worse; the prior net neutrality regulations specifically prohibited federal government filtering of information, as is done in China and elsewhere. That is now gone, with zero plan to create any new prohibitions. We can now be told what we can and can’t learn/know/find out about.
    It’ll happen slowly, and you literally won’t know when it’s happening.

We in the US apparently have extra freedoms we don’t need...

Can only hope this gets overturned in the legislature or the judiciary.

Unless TFP has way more streaming services than I’m aware of, this should do little to this site for now, but over time there is a high chance that there will be be pay-to-access ‘tiers’ that ISPs will sell to site owners/publishers. Depending on how much you pay, your product is accordingly streamlined to the end user. We do this in shipping, data lines, and travel too. It’s a proven model.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

Things are introduced incrementally. It won’t come fast, and it won’t be expensive...now. Incrementalism is a real thing and had been used widely to introduce ideologies and economic changes over relatively short amounts of time with little notice or care by the general public.

6. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

While I agree with most of what you said, I don't have much intelligent to say about it. The insidious thing about it is that it doesn't have a big impact on niche websites like TFP, therefore lulling many webmasters and IT developers into complacency.

This ruling will affect each of us though, especially those who have their Internet connections with financial troubles or just plain greed. Your ISP is not directly connected with TFP though, they are directly connected with you. If they do try to solicit/extort money, it will be through the huge service and data providers. And the ISPs that will become involved in this are huge themselves, like Verizon, AT&T, Charter and others. My ISP is a small, rural company that doesn't have the power to play with the big boys.

Anyway, this is, in fact, a political issue. It doesn't really have anything to do with TFP. If it does appear to have affected your access to the site in the future, do let us know. And I will be sure to let you know if there is any attempt to get me to pay to play.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I was wondering how it affects search engines for people looking for information. How it would route them through the maze. Is it a pay to get to top of the page? Seems like someone else is controlling the steering wheel, I don’t like to be corralled.

What I’m hearing is ISP can block websites and apps and slow speeds. I am speaking after the politics are over and what the results are. Hard to find the line, it’s all so relevant to our daily lives.

8. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

Although some search engine listings can be paid to be at the top of the page, those are shown as sponsored content or ads. The repeal of the Net Neutrality rules doesn't change that. However, an ISP may have a financial agreement with a specific search engine, so they may slow the results of other search engines and might use their access to your connection to send you ads or encourage you in some other way to change your search engine preference.

Generally (very generally), you get to the top of search engine results because of the quality of your content in relation to the search term, the number of links other websites in the same category have to you and sometimes the amount of traffic you get.

Yes, but they will probably only do that if they have a financial reason to do so. That, to me, is the insidious part of this decision.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Hanover Fist

Hanover Fist Pro Member

Exactly, Jim.
    And that’s why this isn’t really a political subject, as it’s not a ‘one side over the other’ issue, technically (though there are indications that support for/against this unlegislated ruling does not necessarily cross party lines).
    This is a monopoly/capitolism/money issue, at its root.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1