How To Start a New Topic

Discussion in 'Forum & Member Account How-To's' started by Jim McClain, Jan 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

This topic is no longer relevant. We are using different forum software now and the features are different.

This is a How-To for anyone on how to start a new topic, whether you are registered, logged in or not. You must be registered and logged in to post a new topic.

Near the top of each forum there is a small graphic that you can click (the same graphic appears near the bottom of the page too), or you can use the drop-down menu for Topic Tools and select Start a New Topic.

Click any image for full-size.
    start-new-topic1.jpg

If you are logged in and have permissions to start a new topic in the forum you are in, you will be taken to the message editor. Enter a title for your topic and the message text. There are a number of other features and formatting controls you can take advantage of. See the full-size image below for more information.

start-new-topic2.jpg

The message editor for members has additional features below the editor. You can make choices about the links you provide to other websites, you can upload pictures and other files, select how or whether you want to be notified of replies to your topic and you have the opportunity to add a poll to your topic.

start-new-topic3.jpg

If you try to start a new topic in a forum you do not have permissions, you will get an error message, as seen below. It may be only that you aren't logged in. If you are not registered, you will have to register to be able to take advantage of all the features and benefits of The Floor Pro Community. There are even more benefits, if you are a flooring professional.

start-new-topic4.jpg

We do have a forum that anyone can start a new topic in, even if you are not a registered member. That message editor looks a little different and there aren't as many features available, but you can still participate. Your message editor will look similar to the image below.

start-new-topic5.jpg

Once you click the Submit New Topic button, your post should appear on the forum page - you will be taken directly to it. You'll have time to edit it to fix any mistakes you may have made, but please proof read and check spelling before you post your topic.

New members who post links to, or photos hosted on other sites in their topic will have to have their posts approved (just until they have posted a certain number of messages that prove they aren't spammers). You will see an error message like that below.

start-new-topic6.jpg

That's all there is to posting a new topic. It's fairly simple. If you have any questions or concerns, you can reply to this topic or send me a Personal Message or an email message.

New topics are very important to this website. Why not start a new one about something that interests you in the flooring forum of your choice.

Best R'gards,

Jim McClain, owner/admin
    The Floor Pro Community

Last edited: May 26, 2017
  2. NCCarpetBinding

NCCarpetBinding Pro Member

HI JIm...

having trouble finding where to start a new topic? Found this discussion and still not registering in my brain.

3. Jim McClain

Sorry you were having trouble. The how-to you saw above was outdated, so I just edited it to make it more current and maybe even a little easier to understand.

Jim

4. NCCarpetBinding

NCCarpetBinding Pro Member

No worries. All done. Felt stupid. Thanks for help!

5. Nate Hall

Nate Hall Types With Elbows Senior Member Published

Jim has that effect on a lot of people.:p

6. Levi St John

Levi St John New Member

Thanks. How do I start a new thread here? I can't seem to find it on your site

7. Jim McClain

I moved your reply to a 5 year old topic to this topic so you could see there is a topic that answers this very question. Read the first post above.

8. Mike Sliwinski

Mike Sliwinski The Doctor Is In Senior Member

Welcome Levi, good luck w/ your first post. If I can do it anyone can :)

Mike:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.