How to "QUOTE" posts.

Discussion in 'Forum & Member Account How-To's' started by Jim McClain, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

The forum features a way to quote a message in your own without having to do any Copy & Paste trickery. It's a very easy procedure, but some don't yet understand how it works. This, I hope, will clear up any confusion and help you to take fuller advantage of the possibilities for using this feature to make your own messages easier to comprehend.

[​IMG]Quoting, in its most basic form, couldn't be easier. Just look for the big quote button in any individual message, in the lower right corner. When you want to quote the message inside your message, just click that button (as seen at right) in the message you want to quote and it will open the message editor with all the formatting and text that you need.

As an example, I will take a recent message, by our very own Tandy Reeves, and show you what it would look like in the message editor if you clicked the quote button:

[​IMG]

Sometimes, especially with longer messages that you want to quote, the points you want to make might refer to different parts of the quoted message. You can separate the important parts very easily by using the "quote tags", as in the following screen shot. These changes must be done manually though, so care must be taken that the tags are in the proper format.

[​IMG]

The important parts of quoting are those tags. Here is an explanation of the tags you see in these screen shots:

[noparse]

2. Jim McClain

This illustrates what the quoted message from Tandy looks like if you just click the Quote button.

3. Jim McClain

This is what the quoted message would look like if you separated the parts of the message you wanted to comment individually on.

The second quote doesn't need to be identified as long as it comes from the same message.

4. Jim McClain

This message illustrates how the post would look if you only check the "Quote message in reply?" box in the Quick Reply editor at the bottom of any topic. Remember to click the Quick Reply button in the message you want to include the quote from. It looks identical to the message that you click the Quote button in.

5. cproader

cproader All over T's last nerve Senior Member

Ok I aint too proud to be the first to reveal complete ignorance to this issue. So this better work:eek:

6. cproader

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D YES !!! I DID IT !!!:cool:

7. Jim McClain

Here you go: [​IMG]

8. cproader

Thank-you I am honored to be able to represent my fellow posters in such a distinguished accomplishment. I would also like to thank the academy for recognizing my talents and giving me this award.:D

9. cproader

:eek: This is fun !!:D

10. Jim McClain

That's it, I'm changing your title.

11. Jim McClain

PS: I added your website to our links module - front page and a whole bunch of others - hope it brings you some traffic. No obligation, but if you would like to add a link to The Floor Pro on your site, I can give you the code.

12. cproader

Well Thank-you. I am honored to be on your front page, and yeah, I'll keep the code safe. Thanks for the new title. I feel special now.:D