How to make bucket and tool cleaning easier.

Discussion in 'Floorcovering Installation & Maintenance Tips' started by Omnipotent, Mar 23, 2014.

1. Omnipotent

Omnipotent Flying Dutchman

I use silicone spray on my tools and buckets to make cleaning afterwards easier. Does anybody else do this or is there something that works even better?

2. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

What a great tip. I used to use silicone spray on tools with moving parts and inside stretcher tubes. I even sprayed it around rubber door gaskets on the vehicles in the winter to keep them from sticking and tearing apart in freezing temperatures.

3. Kman

Kman Tile Expert I Support TFP Senior Member Published

I won't use any chemicals on thinset and grout buckets for fear of contamination. I use a scrub brush for cleaning at the end of the day, and a sponge intermittently throughout the day to clean trowels.

I saw RTC BucketBrush online a few weeks ago, but I had already placed my order so I didn't buy it. Next time I buy something from that website I'm getting one. It looks like it would work pretty well.

4. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

Yeah, there isn't anything I would be comfortable spraying inside my pails for fear of contamination. A guy once asked me why we don't just spray the inside of the pail with WD-40. I couldn't believe he was even serious but he was as serious as a heart attack.

5. Joe Floors

Joe Floors Pro Member

I use something similar called TFal. Teflon spray lubricant. I also use it on my stretcher tubes cause it's a dry spray lube.

6. Steve Forbo

Steve Forbo Pro Member

I tend to clean all my patch buckets between mixes.
    I use to buy actual teflon 4/5 gallon buckets from a local shop that worked like a non slip frying pan as far as cleaning.
    I used a teflon coating spray for a few months, but it was actually more expensive than just buying new buckets...LOL My local hardware store has plain white buckets, the same as a HD bucket for $1.25 each, or 10 for $10.
    I simply keep a "Goodie" scrub brush with me and clean them out between every mix...Takes less than a minute in a slop sink.
    And don't forget to add a few drops of Dawn to a water bucket to keep both your hands, trowels and bucket from getting gunked up with adhesive... ;)
    Steve

7. icanlayit2

icanlayit2 Pro Member

I just go find a painter or drywall guys bucket or 3.

8. Incognito

C&A primer, cove base adhesive, VCT glue, multi-purpose.........they all wash out real clean if you have a slop sink and some dish washing liquid. You have to get them right to the sink though before anything starts drying up on the sides. I always have a dozen or two clean empty pails of various sizes. I LOVE those little 2 gallon pails the painters always have though. We were using some moisture treatment stuff that came in a 6 gallon pail. I love those too.

Can't mix patch in a 5 gallon pail like we used to do back in the good ol' days. I remember mixing a bag with the latex additive and going to break. Come back after break and spin it around with the paddle for another 30 seconds or so and that mix was perfection. Take as long as you need to trowel it out too. Install the next day. Plan accordingly.

9. Tom Potter

Tom Potter I Support TFP

I have a better method. Whenever my buckets or mixing paddle needs cleaning, i get everything that needs cleaning together in a pile, find a slop sink or spigot out side, then i grab my helper and tell him to get his a** a cleaning. Sounds rough but thats the way it is. Cant tell you how many buckets i cleaned in my time. Lol

10. Incognito

I DEMAND that all my prep tools remain free of hardened patch and that's both my and any apprentices'/helper's responsibility at all times.

I can usually get out 3-4 mixes of Feather Finish before the bucket needs a thorough scrubbing. The trowels and putty knifes are wiped down in relatively clean water on a constant basis. It makes no sense to allow patch to dry on your tools. The buckets.......well, if you can throw them away and buy new ones...? I don't have time or the money to go fetch a new mixing pail every day.

Attached Files:

11. Tom Potter

Tom Potter I Support TFP

Absolutely, i agree 100%. Clean tools are a must on my jobs. Thats my helps responsibility. My responsibility is to TEACH them how to keep things clean. There's absolutely no reason i should have to stop doing whatever im doing to clean a bucket. Thats pennys holding up dollars! Fortunately i have good help that understand why clean tools are important, my guys are on point so i dont have to do it myself. Thats more time i can spend laying/setting witch in turn, means more money for buckets!

12. Jon Thompson

Jon Thompson Pro Member

The bucket brush works great. We found it easier if you have 2 drills one for mixing. And one for the bucketbbrush. We have a stock of buckets in our shop for self leveling etc. Why buckets for self leveler? If you have enough buckets you can premeasure your water then it's as simple to dump a bucket without thinking about how much water. My guys do the same for keeping clean they are on point cause I have to admit I'm OCD when it comes to my tools. My uncle said to me one time if you take care of your tools they will take care of you. Of course he said that after I left a prep trowel with prep all over it. When he said that it made since to me I believe that's the moment I became OCD LOL,