How to install Laminate on Round Stairs?

Discussion in 'Hardwood and Laminates Q&A' started by DarkLight, Jul 25, 2012.

1. DarkLight

DarkLight New Member

Hello friends

We are trying to figure out a way to install laminate or hardwood on round stairs. I have attached the picture as well. Is custom made nosing our only option? Your input will be highly appreciated.

Regards

Attached Files:

2. Barry Carlton

Barry Carlton Senior Member Published

3. Omnipotent

Omnipotent Flying Dutchman

Just put carpet or vynil on it, much easier.

4. Canuck

Canuck Pro Member

Tear the stairs out and build ones that are straight.

5. Darol Wester

Darol Wester Charter Member Senior Member

You've got yourself a real challenge there. :hmmm: I can't help but wonder what hardwood planks are going to look like when ran across curved steps. I think your only good option if you want a wood like surface would be hardwoods, not laminate. You can make your bull nose, attach it and build your hardwoods away from it to the risers. Preferably unfinished wood. That way, when you get it all done, you could fill, sand and do your finish. It should come out pretty nice. Lot's of work though.

The risers could be done by cutting your material thin enough to bend around the curve.

Just a thought.

6. Taurus Flooring

Taurus Flooring Over 30yrs Experience

The only way you'll get them done in wood and have them look professionally done....hire a pro. They'll have to make custom steps for you and it probably won't be cheap. I'd go with carpets, at least they wouldn't be slippery.

7. brett chaltry

brett chaltry Pro Member

start with removing all them staples

8. Barry Carlton

Barry Carlton Senior Member Published

I've been doing curved steps since 1982/3/ Just hire a Pro and you shouldn't have a problem. It might cost a little more but you want that look enough to pay for the uniqueness of the installation right?

9. nimrod

nimrod Pro Member

10. Steve Forbo

Steve Forbo Pro Member

I have done several sets of steps like that with both solid wood and Vinyl(Amtico).
    With wood, you will have to make a custom nosing, route it and install in either direction. You can do a "fan" installation that gives you the look of an oriental hand fan if you know what I mean. But that requires a lot of custom cutting and re-grooving the wood.
    Either way, I would hire a pro to do it and expect to pay for high quality work simply due to the time and craftsmanship involved.
    Solid Vinyl like Amtico would come out nice too, but the installer should be very experienced in wrapping steps.
    Carpet will be dirt cheap in comparison...
    My .02

11. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

You have that wood on the sides to deal with too. I would use real wood and stain it to match the laminate. Very custom when things are round.

12. Capiii

Capiii Pro Member

Unless you're looking for a certain design element, carpet would be much quieter. Looks like the room is acoustically hard with the hard surface flooring, and with all the light, I would assume windows as well.
    Something people don't often think about before it drives them crazy.