How to finish tile for carpet

Discussion in 'Floorcovering Installation & Maintenance Tips' started by JonH, Apr 4, 2015.

1. JonH

JonH TFP Sponsor

THIS IS HOW NOT TO DO IT. This is a job I ran into just a few days ago, I've been dealing with "experienced" tile guys doing this type of stuff.

On this job I called the guy up and made him come out immediately and fix it. He tried to leave the tackstrip in and made a big mess. The worst of it was that the metal had no support and the grout was already cracking out. I told him how it was to be done and he argued that other carpet guys want it different.

I want thinset all the way to the end of the tile straight up and down so I can tuck evenly. If there is metal then to the very end point of the metal. Can I get some more input so I know what exactly to tell these guys because I'm getting fed up. I'm not a tile guy.

Attached Files:

2. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I want to see Schulter at the edge of all tile or marble. We used to have guys just stop the tile, sometimes no thinset under the edge and sometimes in a jagged configure ration. When few tile broke trying to tuck carpet and I had to pay a tile guy $100 to replace tile I refused to work against unfinished tile. I haven't seen a tile job where the tile just stop now in probably 15 years.

3. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I can't really see what's in the picture, for the iPhone or iPad they're blurry, doesn't matter though.

Some guys like Schluter or similar metals to stop tile. For commercial, it's very important, or exterior as well.

Me personally, I do not like another product in between carpet and tile. Where the tile terminates, the underside should be filled with thinset at time of installation, not filled with grout underneath the next day after setting. I have many times filled in the hollow underneath space with patch, just in order to nail down hardwood transitions and prevent tile from cracking.

I see grout in many areas, over top of clampdown metal(usually diy'ers) Against aluminum thresholds that move and grout cracks out. Grout along base, where movement causes the hairline crack joint.

So around here, residential work, the tacks trip follows the tile (3/16") away with gully, sometimes latex in the gully. I rarely see solid thinset underneath tile edges. I rarely see any work done to specs.
  4. JonH

JonH TFP Sponsor

I just like it nice and even so when I put carpet up to it and tuck it looks even all of the way across. If the carpet goes under the tile in some spots and not in others you get a less than perfect look across the transition area.
  5. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor Senior Member

It's not only the fact that they're doing it half-assed, it's that the next guy (carpet guy) is getting screwed. We spent an hour at one job cleaning up thinset that was slopped out past the tile as well as grout that was left on top of the tile.

Attached Files:

6. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor Senior Member

Oh, and these guys are also making top dollar for tile installs, it's not like they are getting bad rates and just going cheap because they have to go fast.
  7. Mike Antonetti

I guess maybe a style of T would look ok to where it would capture/overlap both the tile edge and carpet but not be obtrusive.

One thing that bugs me is where it terminates and hardwood is going up to it, sometimes putting the transition out a little too far. The risk of cutting tile is too high due to possibility of it chipping. When removing tile across a doorway I cut across about 1/4" in for the overlap, a chipped tile the T-mold will cover. Dremel ing the ends with the small diamond blades and chipping those areas are most risky.

Maybe some product in a caulk gun would dry quickly enough to fill that gap underneath though it would have to have compressive strength. Putting patch underneath with a margin trowel is a little messy.
  8. nimrod

nimrod Pro Member

I agree with Daris this is what I always use when we are tiling up to carpet and always recommend to DIY tile people if we are butting carpet to their tile...sadly most are too cheap, lazy or not skilled enuff to use them...Schluter-SCHIENE - Schluter-Systems
  9. Mike Antonetti

Yeah that bugs me as well. "Dress up your dam work". In the masonry trade, training as an apprentice, the union rep. Called it wiping your az., tell them to clean up after themselves, kinda shaming them to do the right thing.

Spending extra time as you said, I spent half hour on a closet door putting it back. This house was bazaar, I had to stop what I was doing and look around the entire 4 days at the whacked out workmanship in this house, everywhere I looked things were done wrong.
  10. JonH

JonH TFP Sponsor

Thanks guys, I think I will let them know how I like it and I'll bill them if they don't do it right from now on.
  11. Mike Antonetti

Hey if you can get cooperation more power to ya. That is a rarity. We deal with this stuff years down the road, the "signature" is sometimes there that we'll know who did the install, mostly because it failed in some way.

Some simply do not take the tidying up into consideration until they are the ones cleaning up the edges of their work once the thinset cures.
  12. JonH

JonH TFP Sponsor

Quick update on this, I billed a guy for cleaning up his mess and he was angry about it. He told me I should have told him to do better next time. ( Kyles Pic above+35 feet.)

We had a meeting at the store about "getting along" and I, being half drunk, let'm have it. Now I feel kinda bad and I have to still work behind them and talk to them daily. Maybe it was good, maybe not.:(:mad:
  13. Grant H

Grant H I'd rather be patting my dog.

Can be an awkward conversation aye. It amuses me though that he thought he should have to be told to do his job properly...:blink:
  14. Mike Sliwinski

Mike Sliwinski The Doctor Is In I Support TFP Senior Member

I see a reality show in the making, with Jonny Corner
    in the corner ;) :p ......As my brother always says, " Lets play nice in the sand box " lmao

Don't feel to bad Jon, sure ! it sounds like you owe him an apology for the way you spoke to him, but not for why !

We all make mistakes so forgive, but don't forget, this way we have a lesson learned.

Try this next time, we have the ability to keep the peace, by giving people Understanding. Try it ! step away from yourself for just one moment and empathize ! Then sip your beer or take a breath and express the concern, it will most certainly be delivered with-out attitude and control. :)

15. JonH

JonH TFP Sponsor

Thanks Mike, I did drop off a 12 pack at the shop with an apology after a couple days of the incident and it was taken well. They have not been so bad since.
  16. Mike Sliwinski

Mike Sliwinski The Doctor Is In I Support TFP Senior Member

Good Job Man ! :yesss: Humility wins over pride every time !
  17. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

The answer to ALL the world's problems.

Good call JonH

I've dropped off many dozens of cases of beer in my day to make amends or buy favor.

Beer is always a good solution!
  18. As my brother always says, "It's Beer O'clock somewhere in the world!" (he's a firefighter who in his spare time is a stone mason...'cause saving lives leaves you with too much time on your hands I guess).