How to clean tranquility floor after construction

Discussion in 'Cleaning, Maintenance & Restoration' started by Jason7613, Oct 23, 2018.

1. Jason7613

Jason7613 New Member

Hi all,

I just had vinyl footing installed and construction was done as well (sheet rock, taping, painting etc) but the left over mess/dust is extremely hard to get off. We have swept and mopped twice but certain areas just aren’t getting completely clean. Is there a certain cleaner that we should be using? I can attach pictures later but wanted to throw this up now.

Appreciate any and all help

2. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

Any and all help?

What if I say it was very, very, very foolish to allow the cavemen to work on top of your new vinyl flooring and it's likley THRASHED------as in scratched and gouged beyond repair.

I sincerely hope I'm incorrect. If the floor is just.........dirty it should be quite easy to clean with solvent like paint thinner, denatured alcohol or maybe just a strong detergent and a heavy scrubbing with a floor buffer.

We really need some seriously high quality photos with good lighting, multiple angles and multiple perspectives (distance) to have a better idea what we're up against.

Is it too late to kill those cavemen who destroyed your nice new floor. I can offer some ideas there too.

(not really, I just suffer those SOBs on an industrial scale my whole freaking life so I do have IDEAS about what kind of repercussions they deserve.)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

Or just hang the person by the thumbs whose idea it was to put a new floor down before all the other work was done? [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Incognito

Any serious professional in the construction trades realizes that part of their job involves protection of the customers property from "any and all" of their activities. When we sand, sweep, epoxy, move furniture, demo existing floors, prep, deliver materials, cut, glue and install we assume responsibility for "any and all damage". Therefore, we use craft paper, Visqueen, Ramboard, Masonite, duct tape and blue tape to avoid the BACKCHARGES for any and all damage.

In the commercial world it's still always a big deal and crap nearly always gets thrashed because the next guy somehow bulldozes his way through and damages not just the floors but the walls, doors, ceilings, cabinets, countertops. It's quite amazing how grown men can be so careless. Sometimes even I do it.................and I feel like a caveman when I do.

5. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Mopping just spreads and dilutes the mess unless large quantities of water is used. Proper cleaning is a neutral cleaner with a bristle brush, there are many different styles, one that has more bristles is better, yet they have to be stiff enough for the resistance of proper pressure applied to fully contact the vinyl and scrub 100% of the surface. Larger bristles can miss resulting in voided passes with scrubbing.

Then, once you have emulsified, and suspended the dirt into the cleaning solution it should be extracted with a rubber squeegee wet vac. Maybe then another two rinses, not letting the solution to dry. Water is a vehicle, it can disperse product or extract it. A tool.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. bestbuyfloor123

bestbuyfloor123 New Member

vinyl flooring products are water-resistant, they can become damaged by improper cleaning techniques. That means you’ll need to use low-impact techniques to keep your vinyl plank flooring looking its best.

7. Commercial Floor Rep

Commercial Floor Rep I Support TFP Published

I had a very similar scenario happen to me a few years back. A dealer of mine installed one of our commercial LVP products in an assisted living / group home. Unfortunately the GC who ran the project had no idea what they were doing because their normal operation was building residential homes not commercial buildings. That being said they did things completely out of order and absolutely insisted that the dealer, despite his protestations, install the flooring before they were even hanging drywall. Of course in making that wise decision, he also failed to even put any type of floor protection over the newly installed floor while the rest of the construction was done, not even Kraft paper. They also brilliantly chose to popcorn finish the drywall - I still to this day have no idea why you would want such rough wall covering in a home designed to house elderly people with thin skin and poor balance - that's just a recipe for disastter.

Anyway back to the story, so when the punch list came out you can imagine that the dealer got an immediate call to take care of all the damage to the floor even though they told them up front and in writing it was going to happen. When the dealer got the call and since he's a good friend of mine he called me and asked me to go with him to look at the job and to help provide perspective on what the warranties covered and did not cover and also to help with any possible solution to get the floor clean.

We had to use about every trick I know, and I know a lot of tricks, but we were able to come up some workable solutions. First we had to get all the loose grit and debris out of the area and removed so that it couldn't keep getting tracked around. Several sweepings with exploded tip soft bristled nylon push brooms like those we use in the trade when we do final sweeps before spreading glue. This step is critical and may need to be repeated as often as you continue to find loose grit and debris while your working through the other steps. This keeps the floor from getting further damaged while you're working to get the other stuff up. If you have any areas with carpet that abut the LVP you'll have to also vacuum those extremely well and continue to do so so that you aren't continually tracking grit and debris back on the LVP.

Once the loose grit was gone we had to assess what types of things were on the floor. For paint, we spot cleaned with cleaner / thinner and a clean white terrycloth rag followed up with a rinse of TSP and then a rinse of clean water and a clean terrycloth towel. The spackle from the pop-corning we used plastic putty knives to get the big chunks and then we used the same process as the paint - cleaner thinner, TSP, final rinse. Caulk we had to pick off and work at but usually it would come off in pieces reasonably well. Holding an ice cube on big globs of caulk will make it stiffer and can help it come off in one piece rather than many small pieces. Adhesives - same as paint.

The key with cleaner / thinner is that it's solvent based so you don't want to get too carried away with or you'l start having flooring come loose because it will attack the glue. Put it on a rag and use the rag to work on what you want to remove, never pour it directly on the floor in a puddle or you'll soften the adhesive below when it gets into the joints between the tile.

Once everything was done with the spots, which took them a few days to do as this was about a 2800 sf facility, we had them clean the whole floor with an auto-scrubber (these can be rented) and a neutral cleaner (1/4 cup of ammonia to a gallon of water works well). We had them do one whole time through with a brush like Mike mentioned, then follow that up with a microfiber pad to get down in all the fine texturing. The best microfiber pads I've found are from a company called Tuway and they are called Polar Pads. Here's a link to their site: Polar Pad

I think they had to do the last step twice in some of the worst dry-wall dust areas because that stuff is just so darn fine, it's like sand. They just kept working at it and eventually it came clean.

Minor scratches can be dealt with using either a urethane pen from Mohawk accessories or a Quantum Guard HP Seam Coater pen from Mannington. In spots where severe scratching or gouges have occurred you may have to replace a plank or two.

At any rate, I'm headed off to bed! Hope that helps and wish you luck with your project.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 2
  8. Commercial Floor Rep

Commercial Floor Rep I Support TFP Published

Wait I forgot something for Incog!!!

To your point about carelessness...

I once was on a jobsite watching a customers crew install a new product that I hadn't sold before. I wanted to see how it installed and went out to see first hand.

The job was in a grocery store and the product was a sheet vinyl - Mannington Realities wood look - when it first came out. When I came onto the site the lead man saw me and came over to chat and let me know how things were going and at the same time the manager of the grocery was also there and the lead man introduced me. We're standing there talking and looking at the floor from about 20 feet away. The crew is finishing up rolling the floor and they have the whole area taped off with yellow caution tape and orange pylons. About 30 feet on the other side of us is an electrician working on new lighting on a man lift and he's moving slowly down an aisle working on his lights. We keep talking and I look up and this guy takes off at a pretty good clip and literally drives right through the caution tape right across this brand new installed floor before any of us can even react and you know how heavy those lifts are you could just see the glue displacing as he drove across it leaving tire tracks the whole way.

All three of us stood there with our jaws dropped and after a few seconds the store manager went over and told the guy to get down off the lift go call his boss and explain why he just got thrown off the job. Funniest thing I ever saw, but only because I wasn't the one who had to replace the floor!

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. Incognito

Those guys up on the sizzor lifts don't look down, and if they did they don't care what's down there. We did markets and retail stores for about 15-20 years and dropped that like a bad habit because of the HORRIBLE general contractors, subcontractors and end users who have no respect whatsoever for the flooring crew.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1