How to clean/maintain light grey oak wire-brushed hardwood.

Discussion in 'Cleaning, Maintenance & Restoration' started by mrs garza, Jan 22, 2019.

1. mrs garza

mrs garza New Member

New hardwood was installed on a home I am buying. It is 'Lifescapes' light grey oak wire-brushed hardwood. It has a very natural look (looks like they just cut a bunch of pine and just placed it on the floor). It's very pretty, but really doesn't look like it's complete. Can anyone tell me if it is supposed to have a varnish/finish applied to it, or is it just supposed to have a raw look? Also, if it is the way it should be (unfinished), how do I clean it? I was told to just use warm water, but I have two small children that spill things. What if they were to spill a glass of red kool-aid? Will the red seep into the wood, or will it wipe up?

2. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Hard to give much info with only "Lifescapes" to go on.Is that a brand name a style name, could even be a color name.
    But no matter what it is, if it is real wood DO NOT use water on it, wood and water do not mix. You will cause it to swell and discolor.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. mrs garza

mrs garza New Member

Lifescapes is the brand. Sold at floor and decor. Light grey oak is the color and it’s a wire-brushed hardwood. I can’t find anything on it on the internet. Guy at floor and decor told me to mop with water, no chemicals. I did find that u can mop with a very dry mop that’s been put in water. I’ve just never seen hardwood like this. Guessing it’s the new trend. Just wondering if anyone had any experience with it. Thanks.

4. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

A microfiber mop with water is good for your everyday cleaning. Avoid products that promote any sort of shine or glow.

And by water , i mean mist the mop head so it’s lightly damp and dry’s within a minute when applied

5. mrs garza

mrs garza New Member

Thanks so much!! Great help! :)

6. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Sorry, but i cannot condone telling a customer to use water and qualifying it by saying mist the mop head. Customers only hear what they want, I would bet dollars to donuts that two weeks later your customer will say "they told me to clean with water" never adding the qualifier. A mist of Bona or Bruce cleaner is inexpensive and MUCH safer to use on hardwood. Just my two cents.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. mrs garza

mrs garza New Member

Ok. Great to know! Thanks!! :)

8. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I got a good idea from Jon Don guy yesterday about some grinding I’m going to do of a failed painted garage and epoxy going down afterward. So I vacuum real well but small haze residue may occur. He says denatured alcohol and a microfiber. Makes sense since it’s not water and it evaporates quickly.

Sure wish I brought my hygrometer to evaluate the hotel humidity level in Vegas. Which you should always do for your home. 35-55%