How Pet Friendly is Cork Tile Flooring

Discussion in 'Cork Flooring Q&A' started by Slim Shady, Jul 29, 2016.

1. Slim Shady

Slim Shady New Member

Thinking installing it and was concerned about how well it would hold up against the wear and abuse of large dogs.

Thanks

2. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Not really designed for pets. I would prefer it in a study, or a light traffic area.

3. Slim Shady

Slim Shady New Member

Thanks............other than ceramic tile or concrete would you have any recommendations?

4. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

So you're on slab, what areas? What is currently down? DIY?

Polished concrete? I'm not sure of the feel of it for residential settings.

I do like ceramic,(stain proof grout) but glue down plank would be my next choice. I think the price is about same, more labor for ceramic, but slab prep for glue down.

5. When working with cork and large/destructive animals (human or otherwise), I like to see a natural cork colour (same colour as oak) put into place. With a slab installation (at or above grade) you can work with either floating or glue down floor. Below grade must be floating.

Added to the install, I like to see 2 coats of a TOUGH polyurethane applied to the newly installed cork (assuming the product you choose allows for the extra). My product allows the application of Loba 2K Supra AT (ceramic infused polyurethane) which out performs Bona Traffic in the Taber Abrasion test by 360% (not bad, not bad at all).

Even with this treatment, you will need to know that you will get scratches (cork is the SOFTEST HARDWOOD in the world). Just like hardwood you will get dings and dents. That's fine. Cork can handle it.

Like hardwood, your cork floor can have some more finish applied as it ages (buff and coat that is DIY friendly). This would occur every 5-10 years depending on PERSONAL preference.

That's cork. It will do what marmoleum does...but with a few more scratches. The thing that I have found about cork is this: cork can handle the abuse but the HOMEOWNERS discover they can't handle the LOOK of the cork as it patinas (the nice way of saying...abused).

So there you have it: two sides to this coin. The CORK SIDE is easy enough for me to explain. It will handle it nicely (with scratches as part and parcel of a wood floor) and it will be refreshed nicely as it ages (part and parcel of a wood floor that has been scratched).

The HUMAN SIDE is harder to predict. The HUMAN is the one who has to "live" with the cork. A certain personality (laid back person) can handle all of this easily because they are desperate for the cork benefits. A certain personality (perfectionist, "must be perfect forever and ever", moderate OCD...call it what you will) cannot handle anything like cork. In fact they have a hard time with anything but tile.

I love my product, but 5 years in the cork business has taught me that not everyone can nor should have cork. I've lost a few sales...but I've made MANY people happy by being honest and forthcoming about this wood.

The only other thing I can say is, "Homeowner - Know Thyself". Good luck. I hope you find the floor you need.