How Old Are You Guys?

Discussion in 'Flooring Potpourri' started by mcbrides, Aug 28, 2017.

1. mcbrides

mcbrides Canadian Installers Senior Member

Dave and I recently went to an installer supply bbq here on the mid-island. The one thing that struck us both that there wasn't an installer under 40 in the place.

Is this only an isolated incident or are you guys seeing fewer apprentices coming into the trade?

I'm 61 (and nowhere ready to get off the tools), and Dave is 55.

Mr. Scanlon, we BOW to you.

What about the rest of you?

;)

Deb

• Like Like x 1
  2. Grant H

Grant H I'd rather be patting my dog.

51 here and my son is 24 tomorrow. He was my previous apprentice.

3. Jon Scanlan

Jon Scanlan That Kiwi Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Deb I am not as old as Daris yet but trying each year to catch up with him Then Daris has another birthday to just keep in front of me :D

• Like Like x 2
  4. Chris Mha

Chris Mha Charter Member Senior Member

56 years old. Started this trade when I was 16 with no dad. Now my son works with me although he as been taking in some work of his own lately. Mostly porcelain tile work which he likes but not me

5. epoxyman

epoxyman Pro Member

I'm 51 myself started at the age of 16 doing tile mixing mud and just learning to be a tile helper

6. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I'm 73 and it is a bitch trying to keep ahead of Jon. But I'll do it until I die if I have to. Deb, I'm not seeing as many young people either. But the ones I always thought were the young people have gotten to be the older people. I haven't hung up the tool belt yet, did a job last Thursday. Got a store that wants me to do the smaller jobs like stairs and Br's. Been thinking of it pretty seriously.

:old:

Daris

• Like Like x 5
  7. 46 here. I had my right knee replaced about 4 years ago now, so I don't spend time on my knees anymore unless I'm looking at a problem.

8. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

30! I have a good helper that is 18, if he sticks with it he could be top dog in ten years

• Like Like x 3
  9. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

47 and rollin solo because it's just easier that way.

• Like Like x 1
  10. UncleCliffie

UncleCliffie Charter Member

I will celebrate the 41st anniversary of my 39th birthday 11/24. I have been told that I am 3 days older than dirt!
    Dick

• Like Like x 2
  11. Steve Olson

Steve Olson Hardwood/Laminate Guru Charter Member Senior Member

61. The shop I work for gives me help for the nasty tearouts, and will put me with another installer for jobs that call for it, but I work solo for the most part. Our shop has 2 guys in their 30's, couple 40 somethings, and then 2 of us over 60. I don't think the young guys these days want to work as hard as installers do, and move on to easier work. Can't blame them.

12. Darren Ramey

Darren Ramey Charter Member I Support TFP

I don't see any young guys getting in to the trade. My cousins kid is 29 and getting back in to it, but he will get bored in a year and move on to something else like he did last time and the time before that. Shame he is a cut above average.

I saw some younger Mexicans working for that shop I did that university job for, but they haven't been fully integrated in to American millennial culture quite yet.

• Like Like x 1
  13. mcbrides

mcbrides Canadian Installers Senior Member

Way to go, Kyle!
    Dave's biggest regret is that he hasn't been able to pass his expertise on to someone younger. So we are right, installers are getting older but like fine wine ..... hehe.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

I'm 57. There's no shortage of eager young men willing to learn a trade where there are UNIONS that pay well and can keep apprentices and journeyman working steady for decent wages.

I can certainly understand why young men in lesser populated areas would avoid this trade like the Plague. It's a rough job at best. Part time------dirt poor starting pay------ its about as shitty a racket as you could imagine. I know because I've been there on that road to nowhere.

So of course you lose those guys in weak economies. Dont let the........propaganda fool you. There's been no REAL recovery since the 2007/8 Global economic collapse. In a REAL economic recovery wages, working conditions and living standards go up.

That is certainly happening in some places in this world, just not most of the civilized, developed world. I'm starting to think we peaked out when I was in diapers.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I will be 70 in a couple of weeks, no longer "on the tools" daily. Worked with a couple of installers to do 900 ft of click LVP last Sat. and still have not recovered.
    My way of giving back is to try and do training every time I do an inspection. I ask if the installer and his supervisor can be there, then we go thru what should have been done and what was done. It is truly amazing the incompetence, and down-rite uncaring attitude of many installers.

• Like Like x 5
  16. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

you're absolutely right, and this post alone proves that you're probably way above average intelligence for the normal installer.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  17. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

30 years married and 55 years old here. I too am solo, been looking for 5 years for help.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Roland Thompson

Roland Thompson Charter Member Senior Member

64 and still loving it. So far knees , back are feeling good. Yes the union has been bring people in. I just had a long talk with John McGraff from INSTALL. They still have not reached enough places yet.
    Was at a summit a few weeks ago that dealt with just this thing. When or if they show all the summit you will see me adding my intake.

• Like Like x 1
  19. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Coffee making you look younger I guess.

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Can you imagine if they cremate Roland that he would boil for a month just to get to the body with the heat.

:old:

Daris

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1