How much do you charge to install Glue-down LVP?

Discussion in 'Vinyl & Rubber Flooring Sales and Installations' started by Jamesh921, Jun 5, 2019.

1. Jamesh921

Jamesh921 Charter Member

I know pricing is different depending on where you live. I live in central Oklahoma and I'm bidding a large commercial job in a nursing home. It's mostly hallways that are 8' wide. We will be allowed to remove the existing vct all the way down the halls, but we will only be allowed to install half the hall at a time so patients can still get to their rooms. And yes, there will be constant traffic. I've installed several smaller LVP jobs in homes and smaller businesses and have charged between 1.50 - 2.00 per sf, but this is a large commercial job and I know I'll be bidding against at least one other company. So, is their anyone in my area that knows what the going rate is on these types of installations? This job is 7900 sq. ft.

2. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti Senior Member

We did a sweet job where they closed off the whole wing, just removal of carpet and lvt, then grind for lvp. When the other wing was ready my brother didn’t want to bid cause the check took 3? Weeks. They kept calling him, by the time I convinced him to bid it was too late, so be it. I say charge high and don’t feel bad. They don’t go smooth, slip and falls etc.

A new high end assisted living nearby charges 7000$ a month to stay and you’re worried about charging less?

3. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

You gotta anticipate the BS you will inevitably have to deal with and charge for it. I got sick and tired of bidding for ideal conditions (because that’s how things are presented) but constantly getting stuck dealing with a pile of crap. Someone was just asking me about pricing for doing a couple bathrooms of tile. A little more into the conversation reveals that the customer will be purchasing all their own materials and it’s one bathroom at a time. Your price just doubled.

• Like Like x 1
  4. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

Bid it normal, there’s too much work out there to be giving people a break

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Mike Antonetti

I was surprised today Chris when we got to job to demo tile. All carpet was out, baseboard removed, toilet, pedestal sink, appliances moved. Guess I bid it like that but that was actual. Oh I did put my prototype flange cap on.

Cutting into 500 doors, the hours put in, nights,weekends, let alone you’re depressed cause that’s gonna be you one day sitting in a wheelchair outside the door, you’re price increasing yet?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

Don’t forget the thermostat is set at a comfortable temp for not so active senior citizens. That means you will be sweatin even more than usual.

I think $1/ sq ft was about average for LVP for your square footage and that was never enough when it was all said and done. Do you know who you’re bidding against?

7. Jamesh921

Jamesh921 Charter Member

I'm not worried about charging LESS - I was just wondering what the going rate is in my area. Trust me - I am NOT the cheapest guy around. I'm closer to the high end when it comes to pricing. But, I agree that it is going to be a PITA job because of all the constant traffic.

No sir I don't. I asked the maintenance guy, but he either didn't know, or was told not to tell me. So???? I don't know.

LOL Good point!!

8. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Commercial work generally makes the installers more money than the store here. We bid what we think we should and will make and be done. They are a pain sometimes and a sacrifice for some. There are a lot of different details with commercial but I always do the same work either way, some don't.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

I've done a few of those and I can tell you it's a SLOW process. Depending on when you plan to work-----morning, afternoon or nights----- you have to section off half the hallway the longways with caution tape and across all the doorways. The patients might come through the caution tape. Some are usually senile and yet still very physically active. So they goright through your tape and into the glue. It's not a freak thing or an accident. You need to anticipate/EXPECT than to happen because in a larger project it's common.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

We always did rest homes at night so the patients were sleeping.

:old:

Daris

• Like Like x 1
  11. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

For your scenario, bid it high. As Incognito pointed out they are real slow moving jobs. Let someone else waste their time if they want to do it cheaply

12. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

Carpet can be dropped in, glued up and seamed a hell of a lot quicker than the LVT planks. We've done them on the 2nd shift and the old folks are supposed to be getting to bed but they linger. One quite elderly, very petite Asian lady rolled her wheelchair to the doorway, which she had opened so she could watch us. She was smiling the whole time as she put her toes into the glue. We had to get the staff to roll her back away from the door. Another project the man was in his 90s and his routine was to order food delivered to his door. When the guy came with the food he crossed right through the caution tape and was walking in the adhesive. I put my epoxy cleats on and grabbed onto his elbow to help him across. Then they had to change his socks. That one they had us there in the on the day shift.

Graveyard would make the most sense for sure. I don't recall ever starting after 6PM

13. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

One hospital hallway years ago that we did, started a 9 pm. By about 11 we had a 90' hall flipped back and gluing when in the middle a nurse came out of a room and walked away from us right on the glue side. All we could do was watch. She walked in 40' of glue and went around a corner. Half an hour later she came back apologizing and said she got down that other floor and her shoes started snapping. Lucky she didn't fall.

14. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Incognito you and I could probably tell a lot of rest home stories and others that happened on the job over the years.

:old:

Darist

15. Mike Antonetti

When I was doing the condotel half gluing up one lady zipped right around the adhesive and I said wow she’s cognizant. On her way back out I glued, bucket right there, trowel, wet adhesive and the glow to continue. Well she walked right on the adhesive, slipped and fell, trash bag opened up spilled all over. On her way back to the room I heard her mumble “ guess I learned my lesson” my mil kept checking knocking on her door, she was in shower trying to get adhesive off. Ten more years bones would have broke.

One idea I have for next time is getting chair mats (cheap, people selling on CL or offer up, wherever)for carpet to put outside the doors as we apply adhesive waiting for it to dry, the nubs should keep the mat raised, not ideally for good airflow to dry will have to see maybe there’s one with holes for it to breathe.