How long would it take you ?

Discussion in 'Carpet Sales and Installations' started by Mike Sliwinski, Dec 10, 2017.

1. Mike Sliwinski

Mike Sliwinski The Doctor Is In Senior Member

25 yds of heavy soft back plush, no seams, first fl. apt. 150 ' away from delivery location, no tuo, no floor patch, typical conc. scrape drywall /shop vac, install 84' tkls. then padding, power stretch a 11' x 14' br. w/ 2x4 closet to the left, 3x4 hallway and 6x4 wic to the right, install 28' toe cove in closets, clean, vacuum, load truck, act like a goose
    and get the flock out-of-there.

PS> I was alone, took 4 bath room breaks, a 15 min. lunch and appx. 30 min.
    talking to random retirement community residence, one being a
    high-school friends parents. Plus, pick-up material and 30 min travel time to
    job site.

What say YOU ? .....after some installers chime in, I'll give you my times. I documented each step just for the hell-of-it.

Mike

• Like Like x 1
  2. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

Been awhile since I’ve done carpet so I’m going to say I’d have a full day into it. 5 to 6 hours (that’s a full day:)) depending on how much talking I did and how hard the concrete was.

I’d prolly have an hour loading and unloading, an hour for tack strip on concrete, hour to pad, cut and layout the rug, hour to seam & stretch, hour to base and vacuum. Lunch would just add to the time.

3. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

Yeah, about 4-6 hrs depending on the concrete

4. Hanover Fist

Hanover Fist Pro Member

If it were me:
    - at shop @6:30
    - onsite by 7:30
    - chatter, tack strip and cleanup by 9:30 [break] on knees by 9:45
    - measure/figure, cut, haul, lay, relief cut, grab stretching/install gear, 11:00 am
    - install like a monkey, 12:45 [break]
    - cleanup, trim work, schmooze some more, driving away by 1:30/2

EDIT: would invoice min chg for services w/pickup: $250 ($200 w/materials onsite)

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
  5. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

How long would it take me (11+ years ago when I was still installing)? Sadly, I can't remember. :(

How long would it take me (now)? Oh, maybe two and a half days. And that's with 40 tanks of oxygen, carrying one in my backpack all the time on 4 or 5 LPM and a break every 30-35 minutes to change out the tank and rest a few minutes. A half hour lunch each day and a 1-hour nap mid-afternoon. Oh and don't forget to have an ambulance on standby, just in case that was my last install ever. ;)

:D

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. Mike Sliwinski

Mike Sliwinski The Doctor Is In Senior Member

Thanks for chiming in boys ! ...............NINE HOURS :(, back in the day,
    my Pop would have scheduled three of those units per day ( two men)

Here's the break-down I promised:

9:15-9:30 load material, 9:30-10 travel, 10-11 delivery material / tools
    to unit ( appx. 15 min. was talking with residents + my friend) Then 11:00 to
    11:15 scrape / vacuum slab, 11:15 - 12:45 install 84' tkls. 12:45-1:45
    install pad, 1:45-2:15 lunch /break time, 2:15-4:45 lay cpt. 4:45-5 vacuum,
    5-6 lay 28' cove base, 6-6:15 load tools. Not toooo bad, I think for a 57 year old, every third or forth day.:eek:

Mike

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Sounds about right, Mike. When my Dad was running the store we would have to do 2 of those in a day. Back then, you didn't turn down any work either.

8. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Back in the day, that was considered a $50 minimum and you were expected to pound out two a day, even three if the units were in the same apartment complex.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

Back in the day.............$50 was some real money.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Hanover Fist

Hanover Fist Pro Member

I was at 7 hours. But I also have coffee for blood and no patience for wasting time.
    Would do two of those a day, if I could find the work.

11. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

We have some new apt. Buildings with similar quantities. Bottom floor is concrete , top is gypcrete. Me and another guy with 1 helper did 4 of them and were done by 3. Surprised us. Got the whole 4 plex done and got home early. We’ve done like 8 more of them since, I don’t think we have been that fast since.

• Like Like x 1