How do you protect your health on the job

Discussion in 'Flooring Potpourri' started by Barry Carlton, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Barry Carlton

Barry Carlton I Support TFP Senior Member Published

There have been very many comments on the benefits of using a powerstretcher and how it is easier on the knees and body.

Many of us know the OSHA guidelines on glasses, hearing protection, breathing protection, boots, and such.

Several here have stated they do not and will not wear knee pads.

What do you do to take care of your health and body while on the job?

2. Chris Mha

Chris Mha Charter Member Senior Member

I light a Marlboro and drink a coffee or a coke. I do use dust masks now but haven't in the past. Hearing protection I have never used.

3. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Hunh? WHAT?? :eek:

Daris

4. Jeff Auld

Jeff Auld Pro Member

I try to open a window when spreading contact but like knee pads I forget, boots are my only shoes and found S-200 over the toes extends the life of them. Sunglasses for cutting outside, baseball cap to protect what hair i got left. Never owned a stretcher so I save myself from wearing myself out by never doing carpet. Dust mask sounds like a good idea I will place a note in my knee pads to wear them, damm my lungs are probably full of hardi- backer and cement dust. Pamela plz dont read this section or you might make me listen to these fine people who want to extend our lives.

5. diamond

diamond Pro Member

Love you guys.

I am an Aussie and tradies here are no different.

6. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

If there's excessive dust or I'm cutting laminate I will use a dust mask. Hearing protection always used when stapling underlayment, using the drive bar, lots of saw work etc. Also use glasses for almost any power tool. I almost took a nail to the eye one time, it shot straight up and peeled back the outer layer of my eye. Didn't affect my vision but it made me more conscious about using glasses! It was a nail that got dropped into wet concrete and I was bending it up to saw it off when it popped and shot up! Close call.

7. Nate Hall

Nate Hall Types With toes I Support TFP Senior Member Published

I take a LOT of dietary supplements. Every morning I take 30, or so, pills and capsules. every evening I take 20 more.I also do regular chyropractic maitenance for the spine. As I am a carpet installer naturally I use both kneepads and the power stretcher, and I'm going strong at 51! I plan on giving that 85 year-old Michigan guy a run for the oldest installer! :yesss:
    I quit smoking 2yr.s ago. I quit drinking 12 yr.s ago every thing else I quit so far back I don't recall. So I quit ALL other "bad" habits to install flooring longer? I may have quit thinking straight somewhere along the way! ;)