Home Depot Nylon (Platinum Plus) vs Tigressa, which is best?

Discussion in 'Carpet Q&A' started by Shironi, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Shironi

Shironi Member

I feel like am about to lose my mind after carpet shopping for almost a month! Online research shows my best bet is a nylon. I've finally narrowed it down to two options, a Home Depot Nylon, it's Platinum Plus, Expeditious I. It's a 50 oz nylon at $2.62 sq ft. However, the sample I received at home and when I call the number on my quote both say it's a polyester. The store sales rep called the vendor (Engineered Floors LLC who turns out they are a Shaw company selling Dream weaver carpet) and they confirmed it's a nylon. I like the feel and color selection of the store sample better than my second choice.

Tigressa is my second choice, the Pouring Love collection that's going for $2.79 sq ft. The local rep is coming by Friday to take measurements and give me a quote. I tried finding information online for the carpet but so far nothing, other than on Carpet One website the cost shows up as $2.51 sq ft.

Anyone familiar with the two brands and can advise on the better choice? Should I even bother with Home Depot if the people who generated my quote show it's a polyester carpet even though the sample in store and online clearly state it's a nylon? Is there something else I should consider? The carpet is replacement for the bedroom and living room and I have a 6 year old son.

2. Mike Sliwinski

Mike Sliwinski The Doctor Is In I Support TFP Senior Member

Sounds like you've got your answer typed in the question. " The Carpet One website has the cost at 2.51 "

We, at 'The Floor Pro' seem to get a steady
    flow of complaints from 'Member Customers' like you, but rarely, if ever, from ' Carpet One '

Best of luck
    Mike

3. Shironi

Shironi Member

Well.... my question was really more about which carpet is best, seeing that I am not able to get Tigressa's specs online. I don't know how to take your response as it doesn't answer my main question. Am I being put in my place for stating an observation as a mere buyer?

4. Hanover Fist

Hanover Fist Pro Member

I think what Mike is saying is that your choice should be as much about the retailer as the product - service and installation is more than half of the overall process.
    Home Depot pays peanuts to their subs, and you therefore almost always get poor results. Mike was not clear but he meant to say that we have a mountain of Home Depot complaints - but hardly ever a Carpet One complaint.
    Carpet One, in most cases, uses only CFI certified techs. You may pay a few bucks more per yard through them, but you are 1000% more likely to be pleased by the final result.

You want an opinion?
    Stay the hell away from the 'big box' stores.

5. Mike Sliwinski

No, absolutely not :)...... Call the local ' Carpet One ' dealer about
    Tigressa's specs, or visit a mom and pop Floor Covering Store.

If I knew more and could be more helpful, I would

Best of luck and happy searching :)

Mike

6. Shironi

Shironi Member

Ok thanks! I guess I am better served spending a little more money upfront for some peace of mind. I did find out that the local company that has the Tigressa brand is the one being contracted by Costco for flooring. If I buy my carpet thru Costco from this vendor I can get a 10% Costco cash card so that will be a good kickback. I'll confirm the online cost and the Costco deal with the rep when she comes to take measurements tomorrow. I'll also call Carpet One to get the specs on the Tigressa.

So to clarify, basic rule of thumb is get a nylon with at least a 40 oz face weight? Anything else to consider? Is the Stain master pad worth the expense or a regular 8lb, 1/2 pad works fine? I'm not getting any looped carpet if that matters.

7. Floor Boss

Floor Boss Flooring Professional and Mgr. I Support TFP

Costco's Floor covering program involves 'outside' vendors nearly the same as Big Box. Well, because it is a Big Box, but not quite as jenky.
    I know from experience. Your service ends up being subcontracted out and the chain of communication is nearly as cumbersome as it would be from a Big Box Store. You may even end up actually dealing with your Local Carpet One Franchise, or another reputable Floor Covering Store, but seriously, Costco's only involvement are the random weekend displays and floor space granted to the outside vendor.
    Sure 10% cash card sounds great, but again, you have to wonder how they skimmed that 10%?

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Shironi

Shironi Member

The rep was here today from the local Carpet One dealer who also happens to be the Costco vendor. I asked her about the Costco and she advised that Costco adds that 10% on top of the vendor cost so I essentially pay for it. She also told me she's beat Home Depot and Lowe's quote 4 times already. I asked her about the difference in price online at $2.51 vs the $2.79 and she said she can match or beat that price once she works on the quote.

I really hope I get a decent quote from her as I'm ready to rip the existing carpet out myself! She did tell me they offer lifetime installation warranty that includes fixing transitions and stretching when needed.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Mike Sliwinski

Nice call Flooring Boss, do you have a crystal ball or maybe
    two of them....:rolleyes: Sorry ! Happy Hour is to blame :p

Mike

10. winnwoodflooring

winnwoodflooring Pro Member

Yup. When there's an amazingly deep deal, then you have to follow the bread crumbs and ask why it's cheaper? This is excellent advice.

• Agree Agree x 1