Hi New Flooring Friends!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by SRWill, May 10, 2018.

1. SRWill

SRWill Pro Member

Hi Everyone!

My name is Sarah. I'm very happy to meet all of you!

I am a flooring professional from Oregon and currently work as an Estimator(/Design Consultant/Project Manager/Sales). I have previously worked as an installer and also in various facets of general construction. While I have a decade under my belt in the industry and plenty of information and insight to share, I am also here to learn. The best thing about the building trades: there are always new things to learn!

I specialize in overcoming design challenges (commercial or residential), so feel free to pick my brain. :)

• Like Like x 2
  2. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Nice, Welcome to the hood, I mean Community!

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

:welcome: Glad to have you here. Sounds like you are already attuned to what TFP is all about.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Commercial Floor Rep

Commercial Floor Rep I Support TFP Published

Welcome new friend Sara! Look forward to hearing your insights!

5. epoxyman

epoxyman Pro Member

Hi and welcome to the site

6. Mike Sliwinski

Mike Sliwinski The Doctor Is In Senior Member

Welcome Sarah !! :) amazing !.......... not to many woman, install, but I think they make great ones....... I was fortunate to meet, and work a short time alone side a Woman fabricator / Installer. It was appx 10 years ago and she graciously taught me a new skill ! :)

If you don't mind, share w/ us an installation story, from your old install days.

Again Welcome
    Mike

7. SRWill

SRWill Pro Member

Thanks, Mike!

Certainly! It was almost ten years ago that I worked on four of these condo towers on the South Waterfront in Portland, OR. It was both the most fun and the most boring job I ever had, lol. It was my first job as a fresh apprentice just out of trade school and I spent my days grouting, caulking, sealing, waterproofing, putting up backerboard, doing mud set shower pans, cleaning work areas, and hauling material and tools. (sometimes up massive flights of stairs when the elevator was broken). I remember every single muscle in my body was sore the first couple weeks. I say it was boring, because all the bathrooms on all thirty floors were the exactly same and it was production work more than anything. The absolute worst was having to clean out my foreman's thin set buckets at the end of the day, he would spit chew into them. :eek: Despite these things, it was also really fun. I enjoyed coming in and working hard everyday and learning new skills. I also liked getting there a bit early so I could go up to the top floor penthouse area and watch the sunrise with my coffee. :D
    [​IMG]

I worked on four of these buildings!

Last edited: May 14, 2018
    • Like Like x 6
  8. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

:welcome: Sarah!! So you really know what hands on mean. My first big commecial job was over 40.000 sq yards of woven ccarpet stretch in. At that time it was General Motors Institute.{GMI}. I went home at night with my knees bleeding and I had already be installing for 2 years. Like you lots of memories of that job now 50 years later.

:old:

Daris.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

Those buildings are funny. Built on crappy industrial land that ain’t so cheap now. Go figure. I’ve got a couple buddies in the elevator union that worked on those buildings. So you got union training? Now I’m jealous. The training facility in Vancouver is damn good. That and the Dave’s are pretty good guys to have on your side, even if you aren’t union. If I had it to do all over again, AND knowing what I know now (because that’s the key),I prolly would have joined the union.

10. SRWill

SRWill Pro Member

Yes, I was in the bricklayer's union and was training to be a tilesetter at the time. Floor covering is a separate union (one of the "allied trades" of IUPAT).

11. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

Did you Journey out?

(complete the apprenticeship program?)

12. Commercial Floor Rep

Funny how the different trades align in different areas of the country. Here the tile guys are with the Brickies and the flooring guys are in the Millwrights and Carpenters local. Always cool to see how other areas work! Thanks for sharing.

• Like Like x 1
  13. SRWill

SRWill Pro Member

No, sir. I had the unfortunate luck of being laid off during the recession and chose to resign from the union when my unemployment ran out and no one was going back to work. I had to find employment elsewhere.

I know what "journey out" means. :p

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Incognito

But other readers wont know that.

I got my IBC (Carpenters) Journeyman card in 1982 and my IBPAT (Painters) card in 1990.

I'm not a Painter or a Carpenter. I lay floors.

• Like Like x 2
  15. SRWill

SRWill Pro Member

Good for you, it's hard work.

16. Commercial Floor Rep

My favorite thing is when the union shops get a big one and the union tries to make them take guys from the other trades. We had a huge flooring project go about 5 years ago here - probably close to 1.5 million feet overall - and prior to the job start the union approached the contract holder and told him he'd have to take carpenters that had never installed flooring - for heat welded sheet vinyl and LVT. Fortunately, the flooring contractor was an old hand and managed the job well and brought in flooring guys from surrounding locals.

I had another one I got a call from the contractor looking for a bailout because he bid the hard and soft floors and won the contract. The brickies told him not to worry, they'd get guys from another hall to take care of the resilient.

They were sending him guys to weld that literally their only flooring experience was "installing a kitchen floor for their grandmother". He almost got thrown off for delaying the schedule. He found somebody who bailed him out in the 11th hour and loaned him a couple of their guys.

17. SRWill

SRWill Pro Member

All perfect examples of typical union internal politics and "logic" ;)

18. Incognito

Yeah. 4 more years on my knees til I can cash in. I don't think I'll be ALL done even I can collect the pension. Social Security is still 7 years away so I'll certainly stay active til then--------don't call my Business Agent about that OK? It'll likely be "on the scab" work. I have to at least stay working long enough to sell all my tools! I have too many tools to quit soon. My wife said if I die and she has to sell them she's going to GIVE them away and then I'll be rolling over in my grave.

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. Jon Scanlan

Jon Scanlan That Kiwi Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

When I first started laying here 50 odd years ago most of the flooring companies here did roofing as well. Flooring advertising on one side of the van roofing on the other

• Like Like x 1
  20. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

I'll send her my address... just in case buddy :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1