HELP with best flooring for heavy powerchair

Discussion in 'Help Selecting the Best Floor Covering' started by TinaCaregiver, May 4, 2019.

1. TinaCaregiver

TinaCaregiver Member

New build approx. 3700 sq ft - WIDE open rooms for disabled vet spouse and HEAVY powerchair (430 lbs EMPTY). He and chair weigh close to 700 lbs. We have engineered flooring joists, Advantech flooring but need assistance in what KIND of flooring to install. Can't expect hardwoods to survive the wheelchair traffic without frequent maintenance. Ceramic tile (wood look) may crack if flooring isn't "perfect" and how could it be? Leaning towards vinyl plank, but am open for suggestions. Does anyone know the 'best' LVP? Looking at Cali Vinyl Plus - has 20mil wear layer. Also wondering about Armstrong Vivero D10. Seriously, just need suggestions - drywall is in and flooring decisions NEED to be make SOON. Thanks in advance...

2. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I think commercial carpet glued down is about your best bet. Have done it many times for motorized wheel chairs. Being a vet myself tell him thanks for his service.

:old:

Daris

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

• Like Like x 1
  4. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

Go with any commercial grade LVT/LVP from the major brands. FLOOR PREP is going to be more critical than any difference in flooring product. You need UNDERLAYMENT GRADE plywood throughout. That's not what a typical builder will choose to use. You're going to need to SPECIFY that in any contract you sign and double/triple check when it's delivered and installed that the manufacturer's installation procedures are followed.

Easy Peasy.

• Like Like x 1
  5. TinaCaregiver

TinaCaregiver Member

Do you think I need UNDERLAYMENT on TOP of the Advantec?

6. TinaCaregiver

TinaCaregiver Member

Thanks for your service too.
    I don't think I can stomach the glued down carpet - I think my builder would stop the build if I did that. It's killing both of us not to use hardwood (my husband's family business was hard wood flooring).

7. TinaCaregiver

TinaCaregiver Member

I've been told that the Advantec is about the best product out there for subflooring. My husband is concerned about it, he thinks we need the plywood layer too. However, I assumed the builder used Advantec because it was better than plywood.... I'm easily fooled and since I'm doing this basically alone - get taken advantage of WAY too often.

8. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

Advantech is just OSB that is more moisture resistant than regular ol OSB or plywood. Builders like it because it is less affected by moisture (rain) during the build process. I don’t think you got taken advantage of at all by your builder using Advantech. The downside to Advantech is that today’s water based adhesives can react to the adhesives used in the Advantech itself. Put a layer of 1/4” underlayment grade plywood down and you’re good to go.

How about carpet tile instead of broadloom. Replacing individual tiles because of a spill or a worn traffic pattern is super easy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I called Advantech which I really like as well for a Hardwood install. They said use a Urethane adhesive which we didn’t based on retailers recommendations/job. So at least removal one day won’t be destroying the subfloor.

I like me some quality carpet tile also.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Incognito

In my opinion the wheelchair changes your flooring needs from something typcal "builders" are going to be familiar with. It's not something generally dealt with in residential flooring. So, as I said this requires a COMMERCIAL frame of mind-------along with expertise in commercial flooring applications.
    In commercial flooring applications there would never be such a thing as Advantec. Here's what you need to know. Do the flooring/adhesive manufacturers GUARANTEE an installation over "Advantec"??????

I've installed (virtually ONLY) commercial flooring my whole life. I never heard of Advantec. If your manufacturer's rep/tech dept is OK with the underlayment it'll be fine I'm sure. Don't trust a builder to have an opinion worthy of respect on something highly specialized and technical as this. Ain't nobody got time for that---------------he's slamming out units of housing as per standards/contract specs/blue prints/building codes. He doesn't need to know if Advantec is adequate. You do.

Last edited: May 7, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

12. Daris Mulkin

Just out of curiosity have you contacted like the Wounded
    veterans assoc. to see what they have to say on the subject. We also have an installer on here- @Roland Thompson - who does work on houses for veterans with issues. I'll contact him in the morning as my phone is charging at this moment. Maybe he can hook up with you on here.

Daris

Last edited: May 7, 2019
  13. Mike Antonetti

Looks like this in the real world. Outside for a few years gets a grey patina. Stays flat versus plywood tweaking like a meth head.(words I’ve heard on da street)

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  14. TinaCaregiver

TinaCaregiver Member

That would be wonderful. (We have only hooked up with the VA Rep for the Housing Grant that helps defer some of the costs for the specialty items, nothing more). I need all the help I can get for the knowledge side. I've already found major issues that we were able to "fix" but that's only because I have a neighbor that watches the build like it's his own!

15. TinaCaregiver

TinaCaregiver Member

I'll double check with them, thank you. Indeed, our issues aren't 'normal' - even the designer missed a lot of issues that should have been changed. There was still a complicated trey ceiling in the master that I thought had been changed, STILL trying to figure out how to make it work with an overhead lift system to get hubby out of the bed. (He can no longer stand).

16. Daris Mulkin

I just talked with Roland and he at the moment is traveling but will get on today at some point. He was the driver so couldn't talk. On his way to Pensacola, Florida.

Daris

17. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

Personally, I’d go with Incognito ‘s suggestion. 1/4 5 ply plywood will make a world of difference in longevity

18. Incognito

Chris 45 provides a link to the Advantec specifications above. It clearly requires a layer of 1/4 inch ply or better overtop their product for basically ANY sort of glued down flooring-------carpet, sheet vinyl, VCT, LVT, engineered wood.......etc

So it's not a suggestion and there's NO NEED to consult the LVT manufacturer's tech department. Either you assume ply + labor costs into the LVT choice or you select other flooring options.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Mike Antonetti

I like two layers regardless of wood type. Offsetting and fastening schedule improves rigidity and stabilizes(reduces movement) the floor structure.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. phil verre

phil verre I Support TFP

I would definitely add a top layer of 1/4" over advantech. I just installed some lvt in a home for assisted living with power wheel chairs. used Mannington sheet vinyl in the baths and Beaufloor 22 mil lvt in the other areas. Each manufacturer had a super duper adhesive for "under Bed Warranties" and heavy rolling loads. I know Shaw offers this as well.

• Like Like x 1