help with basement flooring options

Discussion in 'Vinyl Flooring Q&A' started by Kelscott, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Kelscott

Kelscott New Member

We need a little help! We had renters in our old house because we couldn't sell it in 2013 and they did over $40K in damages. The entire house has been gutted--new everything. So, we are at odds with our basement floor. The basement is finished and is 1344 sq feet. It is an open stairwell from the main level. In the 12 years we lived there, the basement flooded twice--Both times there was excessive flooding in the area and people whose house never flooded did. We live in Western Wisconsin. The soil is hard clay base. In the twelve years we lived there, it wept a couple of times, but as the years went on we did more to the landscaping to prevent it. This week, we had about 8 inches of rain over the week and it was just damp in one spot--went outside and found a sink hole.

My question is this. My husband wants to do epoxy. I want to do vinyl floor plank adhesive or floating. We are not novices at all--we built our current house ourselves.

We are limited on what is remaining in our accounts to finish the old house, but are looking for advice on what best to do with the basement floor and what will have better resale value--we are listing the house the minute it is finished. And when I mean gut job--new metal roof, new windows, well, pressure tank, water heater upstairs flooring, drywall, appliances, light fixtures, vanities, faucets, cabinets, countertops, doors and on and on and on.

Thank you very much!
    Kelly

2. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

Did you forget you have a topic here about similar, if not this exact issue? You only need one topic here. Please tell me which one to delete, unless you think they are about 2 entirely different trains of thought.

3. Just because you only saw dampness in one spot on the floor doesn't mean that you don't still have a moisture issue. You need to have the slab tested to see where it tests. Armed with that information you can then make an informed decision about what your flooring options might be.

When you do the moisture testing you'll also want to test the slab for pH. It's as critical as the moisture testing.

Another thing that needs determined is whether or not you have an intact vapor retarder and that it's in contact with the bottom of the slab. Without a functioning vapor retarder you're very limited - pretty much carpet or ceramic / porcelain tile would be the only reliable installation.