Help, what caused the spotting on my CoreTec Plus laminate flooring. They are 2 years old.

Discussion in 'Hardwood and Laminates Q&A' started by Jenny Haider, Dec 21, 2017.

Help. How do I correct. Throughout 2 rooms.

1. Correction

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Is it a wax buildup

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Jenny Haider

Jenny Haider New Member

These floors were installed 2 years ago. I am at my wits end as to how to repair.

Attached Files:

2. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

Tell us how you have maintained them. Any cleaning or finishing products? Any applicators or special mops? What kind of traffic? Do you have walk-off mats or rugs?

Kinda hard to look a photo and give you a cause and solution without more information from you.

3. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Looks like something has been coating that floor, its shiny. I ran into hairspray overspray on lino a while back that looked similar.

4. Commercial Floor Rep

Commercial Floor Rep I Support TFP Published

This looks very much like a maintenance issue not a product issue.

There are 4 fundamental components of cleaning:
    1. Temperature - cleaning efficiency increases as the temperature increases. i.e. hot water cleans better than cold.
    2. Agitation - more commonly called "scrubbing"
    3. Chemical Action - the process where the chemical dissolves, emulsifies or loosens the soil particles.
    4. Time - how long each of the other three factors are applied or interact for cleaning efficiency.
    The cool thing is that these 4 things are related and they should always be in balance. If reduce one you have to increase one of the others to make up for it.

If you use cold water vs. hot, for example, you have to increase scrubbing intensity, or use a stronger chemical, or the amount of time you scrub or leave the chemical work. Pretty cool huh?

Coretec is known for its ultra matte finish. It's a great product and performs well. From your picture there is some type of buildup that has occurred that is causing the "shiny" spots. If you notice in your picture, the majority of those shiny areas are on the higher parts of the texture or embossing rather than the low spots.

We can test this out pretty easily. Get yourself a small nylon bristled brush like you would use to scour a shower wall with. Get yourself a bottle of ammonia from the grocery or the local Dollar General. Mix 1/2 cup of ammonia to 1 gallon of warm water. Put a little of this on a small area and take the brush and agitate the area for about 30 - 45 seconds. Let that set for about a minute. Then wipe off the remaining slurry with a clean white terry cloth towel. If it looks like you've cleaned the floor then...viola!! You've proven it is buildup.

To complete the fix, just ramp up the process a bit. You might want to get a stand-up nylon deck brush so you don't have to be on your hands and knees. Use the same mix. Work in small areas and don't let the slurry dry on the floor or you'll just end-up with the buildup back. Once you get it back to "clean". Use a 1/4 cup of the same ammonia per gallon of water and a decent micro-fiber mop to do your daily cleaning. (The more ammonia you use, the higher the pH and long term exposure to too high of a pH could dull the finish) You may find you need to do a once a month cleaning with the higher concentration and use the deck brush if you get anything sticky on the floor.

Don't use any of the following - mop-n-glo, pinesol, murphy's oil soap, any type of liquid soap, a cotton head string mop, any type of steam cleaner - those should be outlawed - all for various reasons. If you really want something pre-mixed use the original formulation of Windex - not the stuff with other things in it. Original Windex is Ammonia and water with a little blue tinting for the most part and it won't hurt the floor. Bona also makes neutral pH cleaner that also works well.

You have a textured floor. You can't clean with a traditional mop it will just ride over the high spots and not get the stuff up out of the texturing. The key is a high quality microfiber mop or a cleaning brush. This will be able to get down into the embossing and release or break loose the soil that gets down in there. Once you get it loose then you need to get it up. For the best result a light cleaning with the deck brush then follow up with a good microfiber mop.

Good luck with it and let us know how you make out.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

Is anyone as curious as I am why @Jenny Haider asked in her poll if it might be wax buildup? :hu:

• Agree Agree x 1