(Help please) Where shall I start the first plank for multiple rooms?

Discussion in 'Solid and Engineered Hardwood Q&A' started by Xuemin Wu, Aug 14, 2019.

1. Xuemin Wu

Xuemin Wu New Member

Hi everyone,
    I am starting to plan my 2nd-floor hardwood flooring. I plan to use the 3/4 inch thick and 5-inch wide hardwood for the whole floor including the ladder. I don't know where I shall start the first plank. Shall I run the first plank through the hallway to room 1? My concern is that there may be no enough space to run two planks from hallway to room 1.
    I am kinda new for this. Any comments or suggestions will be appreciated greatly.

Xuemin-Floor_2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2019
  2. Steve Olson

Steve Olson Hardwood/Laminate Guru Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I would start in room 1, right off the wall at the closet. You could measure off that wall into the hall, at 5" increments to see where the boards will hit it the door ways into rooms 2&3. Having them break right in the middle of the door way will that the install into those rooms easier. After those lines are snapped, you could measure of the line established in the hall, and check back into the doorway at room 4. With luck, you could tweak your start line a bit, and have rows going into all three rooms break going into the door ways. You can buy spline, so that at the door ways into room 4 and room 1's closet, the wood plank can reverse direction, and be able to blind nail into those areas, as you did the rest of the install. In those doorways, the spline slips into the groove, the next board reverse' going groove to groove, using the spline to allow no top nails, and the spline holding those transiiton boards flat and level. Got it, lol.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Xuemin Wu

Xuemin Wu New Member

Hi Steve,
    Sorry, I made a mistake in the original picture. The plank direction was wrong, it shall be from top to bottom. I cannot find a way to delete the original picture so I uploaded a new picture. Thank you so much. View attachment 38589 Floor_3.jpg

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  4. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

If your plank direction is your arrow, that would not look right especially in the hall. Normal wood runs down the hall lengthwise so your planks in your pic is the right way and as Steve said is right. That way also is better for the rooms.

5. Xuemin Wu

Xuemin Wu New Member

I think that I was wrong about the definition of the "Plank direction". I have thought the Plank direction is pointed from the first row to the last row. According to what you pointed it out, I was wrong. Yes, the planks in my pictures show how I want to put them. It was also decided by the direction of the floor joists. I have to upload another updated picture. Sorry for all confusions and thank you for your comments. I feel guilty to the moderator who has been helping me update the pictures. Floor_3.jpg

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

That's why they pay me the big bucks... oh wait, no they don't. :(

Don't worry, it'll work itself out.